Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I' began tearing down my CB360 a few weeks ago. I planned on doing modifications later in the winter, but I ran the oil low. That changed that.
I'll post my progress here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
If you ran the oil low then you probably needed to tear it down anyway. As a rule, those things don't use oil.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a gasket kit off the ol' Ebay as well as a new triple tree assembly off of a CM400. Should swap out nicely.
Next I'll order the pistons and rings. In the meantime I'll begin polishing the covers, triple, and any other parts I wanna make shine.
I plan on splitting the cases to remove any debris. I also need to get a new oil filter.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MNellis said:
If you ran the oil low then you probably needed to tear it down anyway. As a rule, those things don't use oil.
Yeah I'm in the process. Learning a lot too, since I'm new to this. Luckily, I have a gracious friends who is showing me the ropes. I'm also glad I signed up for this forum. Advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
CarolinaBoy said:
I plan on splitting the cases to remove any debris. I also need to get a new oil filter.
The 360 doesnt have an oil filter as such, but a centifugal spinner. You dont replace it, you wash it. But you will need to buy or fabricate the socket tool to remove it.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0015/

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
leethal said:
The 360 doesnt have an oil filter as such, but a centifugal spinner. You dont replace it, you wash it. But you will need to buy or fabricate the socket tool to remove it.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0015/
Wow. Thanks man. That would have been a shocker to go into blind. I'll be ordering one of those, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gasket set came in, as did the triple tree assembly.
If only I had the dough to buy all the parts I need at once.
Anyway, I'll pick up some sandpaper tonight and start on the covers and other parts.
Still shopping piston rings.

So, once I get the engine in order I'll have the frame powder coated.
It's pricey to powder coat, but I'd rather go the extra mile on this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured I'd post some inspiration photos. This is pretty much the look I'm going for with my build.
The first is a wrench monkees build. http://www.wrenchmonkees.com
The second one is an awesome company in Australia. http://www.modernmotorcyclecompany.com
Just sort of minimalist cafe racer.

The second bike is actually a 350 twin, so it's closer to my actual bike. Despite that, I'm mostly drawing from the aesthetics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. I have neglected updating this thread.

I have, in fact, been working on this bike. So, I'll get you up to speed on it if anyone is watching.

I got a new set of pistons and rings (1.00 over).
I picked up clip ons, a new motion pro throttle.
Got a new clutch cable.
Taper bearings.
Got a headlight bucket and ring that was in much better shape. (thanks eric)
Painted the top end black, polished the cases.
Reassembled the motor with the new gasket kit.
Motor is timed and valve clearance was checked.
Motor was mounted.

Custom rearsets were made by Motobits. If you haven't checked them out, do. They make an awesome bolt-on kit for the cb350. I'm really pleased with how mine came out. They also make kits for newer bikes.

So, here we are:

The bondo is on the tank, waiting for my sanding attention.

The stock exhaust didn't quite clear the rearsets after all, so I've been talking to a guy about a CJ360 2-1. I'm waiting to see if they will clear the muffler. Either that or I'll do CL360 headers or straight pipes on the stock headers. I have also looked at the shorty megaphones.

I had a friend of a friend draw up a custom wiring diagram.

So i need to finish the tank, acquire a seat, wire, paint, rejet, and more stuff I'm forgetting or not thinking of yet.

I'll be more diligent about updating from here on out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I notice you haven't cut off the rear frame/seat mount hump yet. Are you? Do you risk the tire rubbing by doing so?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1971 CB450 said:
I notice you haven't cut off the rear frame/seat mount hump yet. Are you? Do you risk the tire rubbing by doing so?
I am waiting to cut that until I figure out what seat I end up using. If it doesn't interfere with the seat pan I choose, I may leave it, especially if I can bolt the battery to it. If I cut it, I'll just weld something flat in there for frame support. I don't think there's any risk of the tire rubbing by removing it.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HerrDeacon said:
How do you like the rearsets? I'm planning on going with Motobits as well, interested in hearing your opinion of them. From what I hear they are nice. Was fitment good with them?
I'm really happy with the rearsets so far. I have not ridden them yet, but they feel good thus far. Brent at Motobits is a really great guy, and easy to work with. The fitment on my bike was great, aside from interfering with the stock exhaust. I really recommend Motobits.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Sigh, I have been considering rearsets as well and have looked at those from motobits. I realized I liked my upswept mufflers too much to get them. The bike is looking pretty sweet though!

·
Registered
703 Posts
You're not going to like those filters. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
krukster86 said:
Sigh, I have been considering rearsets as well and have looked at those from motobits. I realized I liked my upswept mufflers too much to get them. The bike is looking pretty sweet though!
Yours look like they could possibly work. A smaller than stock muffler will work even with the upsweep. My stock ones were just too close, and I haven't picked up anything new yet.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts