Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick first post, I'll have a thread on my bike soon but just need to ask a question now:

First I need to say why I would rather not have to rely on a battery: I will likely be taking this bike on trips to places with no electricity and no range for spare parts (think camping at least)- if my battery dies (and I can't afford an unkillable $160 battery), even if I have battery tender or a similar system, the bike will be dead and of no use to me. Basically, I would highly prefer a system without a consistent variable like a bttery, and if I need to replace a fuse now and then, fine, I can carry hell of a lot more fuses in my tool kit than one spare battery.

I know these bikes use battery-powered coils but I heard a capacitor of some kind could be wired in instead. How much would that cost, what materials would it use and how difficult would it be to do?

What are the electrical limitations of going without a battery?I have only basic electrical requirements but they must work. I don't mind flickering lights at idle or adjusting the idle a bit higher (300 or so rpm) to keep everything going. I don't even mind blowing a fuse occasionally. However, it MUST be able to power a headlight and rear light (and ignition obviously). No turn signals, no electric starting, and while I would rather keep at least one light for each gauge I can get rid of that as well.

Please don't just tell me to get a battery; I am set on figuring a decent system out that meets my very limited requirements.

Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Again....It will run without a battery, but NOT well, and it will eventually damage the stock charging components.... You CAN convert to a modified magneto ignition (using stock points as remote points) and add lighting coils to the basic magneto...However, these changes/mods are likely to cost as much or more than a new battery as machining is usually involved.....PM or e-mail me for details......Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question... is there any Honda twin or single, aircooled four-stroke bike that does not rely on battery ignition and can be modified easily to my requirements? I may just part out this 360 and buy a different vintage Honda if there's an easy solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66sprint, I PMed you about the details but you haven't responded. Maybe you didn't get the PM or can't answer right now, that's okay.

Can anyone else help though? I need to make a descision about what to do and whether to keep or sell the bike... if anyone could tell me how to rig up a capacitor in place of the battery, what kind of capacitor and where to get it it would be really helpful... thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not too sure how electronically inclined you are, but you could rebuild your existing alternator with high power Neodymium magnets, and rewind it all with fresh wire, and replace all the lights with LEDS. Not sure what that would mean for the rest of the bike, voltage regulator, etc.. LEDS and Neodymium magnets aren't cheap though.....I think any solution would be rather expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 500T and a CB450, both with batteries. I have gone camping with both of them, no access to electricity, for a couple months. Never a problem with battery/charging, although over the years I have had the connector plate on the battery end of the positive wire crack and break, disconnecting the battery (I carry a jumper wire with clips on the ends with my tools). The bike will, incidentally, run - very poorly - with the battery disconnected. Not that I'd advise it. It won't run at idle. I don't use the electric start - I always kick start the bikes. I just took the 500T out of the garage - it hadn't been ridden since January (and it needs a tuneup). It started on the fifth kick. Keep in mind - if you could convert to batteryless ignition - if the alternator failed, the motor wouldn't run, anyway. I do have a Suzuki thumper with flywheel magneto, breakerless ignition. Very nice. Except if something ever goes wrong with it. Unlike coils and breakers, if it dies on me I'm not likely to be able to cobble together something that'll get it running.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of battery are you using, and how often do you maintenance/home charge it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Standard lead/acid battery from WalMart. I'll go look at the name if necessary, but I think it's Yuasa (or something close). I check the water level when the spirit moves me, maybe a couple times a year. It always takes a little, not much. The one in the 500T is about three and a half years old. I charge it if the bike's been sitting for a long time (months) without being ridden to maintain the battery, but I never have to when the bike's being ridden. Same applies to both bikes. I don't have any problems with the electrical systems, even though the one on the 450 is a messy adaptation to connect 500T handlebars and controls. I'm not currently riding that one, and I should take the battery out. The only electrical problems I have (besides the battery connectors breaking) are bad grounds and corroding bulb sockets for the rear lights. When I "solve" any of these problems or install a new bulb, I spray the cleaned off connections/socket with ignition sealer spray - also around the lens edge after I screw it down. Haven't had any new problems for a couple years - not since I replaced all the rear bulbs with LED bulbs. I should look inside the lights some day just to see how much I'm deluding myself...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts