Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 74' CB360 running, but it was sometimes running on one cylinder, sputtering, and not revving over 3500rpm. I rebuilt the carbs and now I can't get it to start. When cranking it, it would fire sometimes, but never catch. When was cranking it it sounded like it was about to start until I cranked it again and a HUGE backfire came out the exhaust and scared the **** out of me. After I changed my underwear, I pulled the spark plugs and aired out the cylinders for 15 minutes and tried again and got another backfire. I set my mixture screws to two full turns out after feeling it slightly seat when I rebuilt the carbs. I tried playing around with them but it still didn't start. So to me it sounds like its way too rich and I should probably just turn the mixture screw in more. But I just wanted to make sure that it isn't something else and have it backfire again because I assume those aren't the best for the engine. I also had trouble with getting the carbs all the way back onto the boots/manifolds, but it seemed like it was far enough on to not cause a vacuum leak.
Any input would be appreciaed. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Pull the plugs and look to see if they are wet. One or both of them could be gas-fouled by now. Start over with a set of NEW spark plugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have brand new plugs, both of which come out dry. I also have a bright blue spark. I didn't use a gage when gapping them, I just eyeballed it.. Would that make a difference even though I still have a nice spark?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also mention that I had an extra washer from each carb from the rebuild kit. It could be for the mixture screw, but a washer didn't fall out with the old screw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got it running. It turns out that somehow the points timing got way out of wack. I also wasn't using my air filters which made me feel a little dumb. It idled super cleanly but the weird thing was that changing the air/fuel screw didn't change the idle, it didnt even die when it was in all the way. When I gave it any throttle, no matter what position the screw was in, it would bog and backfire through the carbs and exhaust. After running it I pulled the spark plugs and one of them was dry and black while the other was relatively clean (both cylinders were running).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts