Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Powdercoated parts came in! I was excited to get started on installing some components, and I figured the triple tree would be a good place to start. I have the All Balls Bearing Kit from the late 2000's and I followed the instructions on the CMC youtube page to ensure that I am installing it correctly:

I triple checked that my races were flush and made sure my lower bearing and lower bearing dust seal utilized the thinner washer provided in the kit. Installation was going swimmingly until it came time to add the "preload" bearing nut. Once the upper bearing and dust seal was installed, I basically have 1 thread peeking out for the bearing nut to grab onto. The CMC video seems to show ample threading whereas I saw that I can't get the nut to "grab" unless I remove both the dust seal and the upper bearing. Any suggestions?

Races tapped in after throwing in the freezer for a couple hours:

Bearings being installed:

Uh Oh...:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The top seal is not really going to do a lot of sealing, so you might not want to bother with it, and you can do away with the washer/spacer on the bottom, you have plenty of clearance made into the boss on the triple tree where the stem is pressed in to clear the steering head.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top seal is not really going to do a lot of sealing, so you might not want to bother with it, and you can do away with the washer/spacer on the bottom, you have plenty of clearance made into the boss on the triple tree where the stem is pressed in to clear the steering head.
TOOLS
OK I bashed the lower washer out and saved the bearing (washer is now toast!). This time I tried installing just the lower dirt seal and no top dirt seal. I was able to get some threading for the bearing nut at the top, but my now frame's steering lock bracket was now interfering with the lower triple to the point where anytime I moved the handlebars I encountered STIFF friction resistance and scraping of my new powdercoated parts. Bleh!

I think I am going to shelve this for now before I get too worked up.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh jeez. I think I forgot a critical detail!

So my front end (forks, triple tree, etc) are from a CB450 K5 (the K version with the chrome headlight ears). The design of the lower triple is different, which could explain a lot...

CB360
CB450

As this is a unique situation, what do you part gurus suggest I do next?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Is the stem on the 450 shorter then the one on the 360 triple? If so, you could swap the stems. You have to cut the weld on the bottom, and press the stems out and back in, then re-weld it. Not a hard job if you have the tools.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that the kit I purchased is the correct one for the given front end swap. Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to measure the stack height with the old bearings, since I tossed them when disassembling the bike.

I do not have a CB360 stem to measure, but I would like to ask the members to see if they can give me a measurement from the top surface of the clamp to the very top of the threads. On my CB450 fork, I am measuring 8 1/2".

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I used only the lower bearing from a kit like you mention, the top bearing is the old style (CB450 K0 '66), works good.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used only the lower bearing from a kit like you mention, the top bearing is the old style (CB450 K0 '66), works good.
Interesting, maybe I will try out a hybrid of both kits?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Are you sure that top seal belongs? I've never used it and thinking of its design off hand, I can't believe it would even work. Maybe 360 is different but i think the top seal is for a different line of bikes. I think you may need to put that washer back on the bottom and you may wreck that nice seal you need in the process. Wish I read this earlier. Does anyone else use the top seal?

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Ball bearings are actually lower friction (smaller contact area) The 'hybrid' is probably best as you have high load on lower and much lower load on upper bearing

Reactions: Lefty

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Just looked at your pics again. You don't seem to have a lot of thread with the washer. Seems to me some of the shrouds are a little longer, you may have some grinding to do. Get your precision measuring stick out before you do anything hasty. Those seals are nice and it sucks to wreck them. I know.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Had a 360 stem hanging on wall but, couldn't find 12" steel rule (it figures :rolleyes:) Anyway, as best as I can tell it's 8-3/8" from base to top, I'll check ahain tomorrow when I can see straight to use vernier

Reactions: krukster86

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm keeping my eyes on this thread as I have 2 cb450s and have a kit sitting on my bench waiting to be installed on one. Keep all info posted

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure that top seal belongs? I've never used it and thinking of its design off hand, I can't believe it would even work. Maybe 360 is different but i think the top seal is for a different line of bikes. I think you may need to put that washer back on the bottom and you may wreck that nice seal you need in the process. Wish I read this earlier. Does anyone else use the top seal?
Wouldn't have made a difference. The top seal adds a sliver of a mm thickness. Even without it, I wasn't able to get the bearing nut to "catch".

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a 360 stem hanging on wall but, couldn't find 12" steel rule (it figures :rolleyes:) Anyway, as best as I can tell it's 8-3/8" from base to top, I'll check ahain tomorrow when I can see straight to use vernier
Appreciate it pj.

FYI I ordered a ball bearing race kit. Might be a while before it gets in.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm keeping my eyes on this thread as I have 2 cb450s and have a kit sitting on my bench waiting to be installed on one. Keep all info posted
I think you should be fine as long as you aren't installing the kit on CB450 front end with a CB360 frame?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts