Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, newbie here who picked up a CB350 a few months back for my wife. When I bought it everything was working mechanically...it had some electrical gremlins I needed to work out. One of which was a neutral switch. I popped open the cover and realized the cam wasn't seated in the slot and boy was it caked in grime. Took care of that and figured while in there, lets go ahead and adjust the clutch by the method listed in the sticky. When I button everything back up and attempted a quick ride, I couldn't get it to shift. I will say the last time it was running I thought there was some new noises, plus see how nasty my oil filter is...looks like something got chewed up.

Decided to investigate further: pulled right hand cover, oil filter, clutch, etc. So thing is I can shift through all gear when using the screw in the end of shift drum, however, when I use the actual shifter on left hand side, nothing happens (up or down). I have pulled the detent ball up top - everything looked ok, removed the shifter stop - still no go with it removed, put a straightedge to the gearshift spindle - didn't appear to be too bent or out of square.

What I have noticed: the teeth on the shift mechanism won't fully get to the next pin on the shift drum...hard to explain, see pictures attached. I don't feel like shifter travel is "full range" and thus not reaching the next pin.

I had run across another thread where a bearing locating pin was smashed through the case and caused some sort of binding. Looking at my pictures, do my bearing caps look positioned correctly? Also, there is a buldge in my case, is this a normal void for the pin or is it starting to push through?

Appreciate any info!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That bottom pic... Countershaft pushing through the case?

Have you set the cam chain tension yet?

Hopefully someone else will chime in and be more helpful

·
Registered
893 Posts
Filter looks like normal grunge that hasn't been cleaned out in a long time.

Last photo of the locator pin area looks as it should.

Not unusual for the shift mechanism to work as you are experiencing when the engine isn't running and turning the transmission.

If it was shifting before you adjusted the clutch then you didn't do the clutch adjustment correctly or perhaps parts in the lift mechanism are at fault or the push rod. What I'm trying to say is .... it worked but with part problems, you adjusted the clutch as if the parts had no problems and ended up with a problem.... basically check those parts.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Clutch adjustment can very easily cause the 350s and 450s to shift poorly. Due to the design of the transmission, as Boomer referred to above, the shafts have to be rotated (at least one) when the engine isn't running to align the engagement dogs on the gears properly before it will progress from gear to gear. I don't see anything particularly wrong with the pictures shown either. If the small end bearing of the countershaft had a problem, it would likely be out of position and the locating pin would have popped through the upper case above the bearing area (and behind that oil slot in the upper case)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Appreciate the info so far!

I am out of town this week, but have a oil change gasket set on its way to my house (along with an allen bolt kit...I buggered up the JIS screws pretty good on removal). Plan is to get all the parts and casting surfaces cleaned up and reassemble. I'll see if some fresh oil and the spinning motor on center stand can get this thing to run through the gears.

Follow up question for you: as I shift the drum by its screw along with rotating the mainshaft by hand, the entire drum will move axially a bit...maybe 1/16 to 1/8" or so. Normal or should the detent ball be keeping everything aligned better?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I could understand a bit of movement but that seems more than it should... I'm not recently familiar with the style of detent on the 350 trans through the top of the upper case, but did the parts all seem in good condition when you checked it? I just looked at the fiche online and it appears the detent is also the retention method for the 350 shift drum

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb350k4-super-sport-1972-usa-gear-shift-drum-spindle_bigma000148e15_56c1.gif

While you're here, you should post an introduction in the Members Introduction area too, and take a look at this for a few suggestions

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts