Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Making great progress on my CB350 restore and am now working on the charging system.

The Regulator and the Rectifier and both in a sorry state and I was going to upgrade them. I have a couple of modern R/R's that will work with a single phase system as long as it's Permanent Magnet. One is brand new as it was bought for another project and I ended up not using it. It will be easy to mount behind the battery

I've read conflicting information on the 350 twin, some say its permanent magnet. some say it used an exciter. Can anyone shed some light on this? It would save me a few $ if its permanent.

I was also wondering about the wires coming from the Stator. I believe the White and Yellow are the AC outputs. What is the pink wire for?

Sorry of these are dumb questions, I did do a search but was not able to find an answer

Thanks

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The Honda 350 twins ARE permanent magnet type.......
Pink is one AC "pole" and Yellow is the primary "other" AC "pole".....
The White alternator wire becomes commonly connected to the Yellow when the lights are switched on, but I recommend you simply connect them both together to the "other" pole and be in highest charging mode all the time .....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Or just get a modern 3 phase rectifier and connect the three output wires to the three inputs of the reg/rec. Then the poss to battery pos and neg to earth. Bingo, proper three phase charging system with proper regulation. 14 + volts at anything over tickover, no more boiled batteries, believe me, your electrical system will love you for it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Or just get a modern 3 phase rectifier and connect the three output wires to the three inputs of the reg/rec. Then the poss to battery pos and neg to earth. Bingo, proper three phase charging system with proper regulation. 14 + volts at anything over tickover, no more boiled batteries, believe me, your electrical system will love you for it.
It's not the R/R that determines the phase, it's the windings on the stator. The white and yellow are on the same phase, but represent only some of the windings from the stator. The pink is the opposite side and is common to both the white and yellow. Generally, when using a modern R/R, you'd want to splice the yellow and white together into a single output from the stator so that all available wattage is being used at all times. In the stock setup, the white and yellow would only be joined when the headlight was on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts