Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like to clean my advancer.

I took out the center bolt, and the advancer is not wanting to come out. I can take off the outer points block barrel, but that's it. I'm assuming in order to clean, I will need to remove it. What am I missing?

Also, what is the best way to clean the advancer? Spray it down with carb cleaner, then a few drops of gun oil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Once you’ve removed the bolt it just pulls off. Be very careful to document the disassembly. I’ve
Just done this several times and shot blast the bits they come up really smooth. Don’t stretch the springs.
Reassemble in the opposite direction.
The springs decide how the advance/retard works. Don’t worry too much as the springs advance the ignition according to engine revs. From about 1500 to 3600 RPM.,when you’ll have full advance.
Clean it lube it and carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
As far as cleaning the advancer, I just used RemOil and it does a great job of both cleaning and lubricating.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That’s all you have to do really. As long as the springs aren’t stretched and the cam can rotate from fully retarded to full advance without sticking you’re good to go. You can only fit it one way; it’s the points plate that will give you trouble if it’s not assembled correctly.,

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
the advancers are frequently corroded to the cam.

use penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two...lightly tap the end with a small hammer. then use two large and long flat blade screwdrivers 180 degrees apart to pry it off from behind,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts