Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to just rat this thing out. I'm getting real tired of all the flashy bikes around my area (as some of you heared) with their top dollar, period correct parts and serial numbers. I'm going for ugly. Something that makes peoples heads turn and grimace in disbelief. Loud and fast first then I'll let style take over from there. Any of you recognize that seat? yes its off a schwinn. Rattle can paint. almost through the motor and ready for the electrical. But i'm not just slapping this thing together, I'm putting effort and love into it. Its custom alright, done just the way I want, Grungy, Greasy, Mean blue collar bike for a man stuck permanently in oil soaked clothes. Its going to be my daily ride, gaining miles and character as I go.

This is just the rolling chassis so far. Still have some work ahead of me, but at least now I see a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You got the colors right anyway..

RED, WHITE, and BLUE BABY!!!! :D

As far as I can tell. I'm partially colorblind.. :?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Ditto on the color choices there Woody! :D

It'll be fun to see what it turns out like as well as to hear about peoples reaction to it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its chrysler red, i didn't really want to full red out right so I took a toned down bit, turned out a little more orange than I wanted, but I'll keep it

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
You got the colors right anyway..

RED, WHITE, and BLUE BABY!!!! :D
ironically on a Japanese motorcycle ;)

sounds like you're heading in the right direction for a blue collar bobber. i like it, keep this updated for us!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm starting to go over some of my future wiring hurdles in my head and would like a bit of advice. I want this bike as naked as I can get it (no turn signals etc.). now because all the switches for said accesories are on the levers, i'll probably have to get new levers (no use in having switches that don't switch anything. do I need to find specific levers for any reason, or just anything that will pull a cable? and also my twist grip is trashed so i reckon thats to be ordered as well. what is the best way to go about getting replacement levers? i've looked in catalogs but they don't seem to help, and unless I know exactly what to look for the internet doesn't seem to help either.

also, is there anything electrical I absolutely need. for a kill switch I was just going to hide a toggle switch, any thoughts on that and if doing the same for a high beam would be acceptable. thanks guys

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After weeks of buying tanks and re-selling them, i found one I can live with. heres the stock one, one i almost went with, and our winner.

I started putting the chassis back together hoping maybe if I do that the rest of my parts will magically ship to my house finally. i hate waiting on parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Yamaha early 1970 MX?? Tank

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yamaha 200 streeter....(might be a 175/180cc)....I remember the color, but been a long time....Definately a Yammie tho....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
66Sprint said:
Yamaha 200 streeter....(might be a 175/180cc)....I remember the color, but been a long time....Definately a Yammie tho....
Oh yeah the colour purple was such a craze, i had a Chrysler painted "plum crazy" metallic with huge flakes man was it bright.

The tank reminds me of the Yamaha DS6 250, but as you said definitely Yamaha.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its definately a yamaha tank (i only could gather that from the cap), i picked it up at a swap meet for 10 bucks and its in nice condition. I was just wondering if anyone recognized it so when someone hassels i would at least know what the tank was off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guys, I am having a hell of a time finding levers and a throttle twist grip assembly. anything that pulls a cable (or twists) is what i am looking for right? so really nothing specific, just has to fit 7/8'' bars?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
IF you use anything other than a Honda throttle, you'll need to use a modified/aftermarket throttle cable, or modify the stock cable..... A 305 Honda unit is a good choice as it has only the throttle (takes the stock cable) and a starter button (you can use that for the horn, and the single wire is easy to hide).....(I have one I can take pix of to help you identify it).... However, finding a complete Superhawk throttle assembly may take awhile.... Motion Pro may be the way to go...
The levers, perches and adjusters for brake and clutch are available at JCWhitney for around $10 each side (NO switches at all)........Steve

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again steve. i have another question for you, do you know the tire sizes? i'm trying to find some white walls for here. anything you got for me would help. thanks bud

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here it is again...the snow kept parts from showing up but couldn't keep me out of the garage

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK i like it,just a heads up,cm 250 rebel swing arm will bolt on and is almost 4 inches longer,shocks will also fit if you move lower mounts back about 1 inch.
Makes it longer and shorter,looks cool two.
Kaw 750 4 piston has same wrist pin and will bore into stock 350 cylinder,must use two base gaskets.
cb 450 carbs work well with this set up. SL350 k2 cam also works well,more lift,not much but more bottom end.
Only problem is cm 250 has 15 mm axel,350 has 17 mm axel,not a hard fix,just drill,or machine out,works great.
got other ideas if you want,good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks a ton dread....i'm open to any tricks and fitment options you got. i like the swing arm idea, my buddy has a junk cm250 he's been trying to pawn off on me, i might give her a gander now knowing that i could use at least the swingarm. you got any ideas for forks? i toyed with changing the fron forks and adopting a disc brake setup but i really love the leading shoe. i'd like to get a little longer forks without losing my front wheel. i'm pretty far along now and its just about running so all thats left is the fine tuning.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts