Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to remove the upper fork bridge; I've removed the pinch bolts, the steering stem nut, and the clocks (and the handlebars); I've also (as seen in the pic below) loosened the upper fork bolts, so if I'm reading the manual correctly, the bridge should just come up. And yet, it does not. A couple of photos; the pinch area was broken when I got the bike, so at least I have not as yet caused more damage:

IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3751.jpg

I've only included a pic of one (broken) fork pinch; the one on the other side is essentially the same (broken, with the upper fork bolt itself loosened). I did try positioning a 2x4 under the bridge and hitting it with a hammer, so no avail. Is the next step heat (and if so, where), or is there something else (or something I'm missing) ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying to myself; got it, although I don't claim I did it correctly. I noticed that the pinch areas both moved slightly when applying hammer+2x4 whereas it didn't appear to move at the steering stem. Applied heat to the steering stem and resumed hot hammer-on-2x4 action, and it eventually came off. I would have preferred it not come off a side at a time (perfectionist, me), but it's off. And heeeeeere's what the separated bits looks like:

IMG_3761.jpg
IMG_3762.jpg

Follow-on questions:

1. Is there anything I should have done differently/better?
  2. Think the steering stem (or the fork upper) is salvagable if slathered with evaporust/oxalic acid/something else?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
hot hammer-on-2x4 action
:eek: :rolleyes: :( :eek:

I'd suggest liberal application of any type of spray penetrating oil, spray every rusty part and fastener on the whole bike every day for at least several days in a row. Temperature variation will help the oil penetrate, so rusted hulks parked outdoors that get some sun may benefit more than bikes confined to cold garages.

For rust removal I recommend regular white vinegar from your local grocery store, there are plenty of threads here and info available. Its safe and cheap. To keep rust away use a good etching primer and paint, or my favorite... DIY zinc plating.

Your steering stem is probably fine.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
+1 on Liberal application of Rust pentrating spray BEFORE attemping to take sutff apart.
My last project sat in the garage and received a spray down every other day for (2) wekks before I started on it.
Pretty much everything came apart very easy after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts