Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m certainly a newbie on engine work and apologies if this has been asked many times before but . . . what is the function of the small rubber ball in the oil passage behind the oil pump? Does it act as a kind of valve or is it just a stopping plug? I did put it in when I put my cases back together but I popped it in dry. Should I have oiled it so that it would drop down into the bottom of the oilway? It is not visible but I can feel it with a bent pick. There seems no way to move it but will it drop down when the engine gets hot?
Thanks, Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just to be sure .... you had split the cases and put the ball in so it is under the bearing .... it is to block a drilled passage, dry is fine it won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boomer, yes it's in there under the bearing. It's easy to suffer self doubt when you haven't done this before and I wanted to check before plodding on with the clutch and oil pump install. I did have a slight dread of having to take things apart again!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's easy to suffer self doubt when you haven't done this before and I wanted to check before plodding on with the clutch and oil pump install. I did have a slight dread of having to take things apart again!
It goes with the territory - we all know that if we screw up something in the engine during assembly, it will come back to bite us and might even cause damage... it's why we become more meticulous with experience

1 - 4 of 4 Posts