Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be documenting the improvements I'm making to my 350G here, mostly so I can ask questions when the need arises...
On the list:
-rebuild front suspension (new tubes and seals)
-rebuild brake caliper w/ new piston
-new rear shocks
-bronze swing arm bushings
-replace cam chain tensioner assy (rollers, chain, etc)
-check engine components/replace as necessary

I've pulled the engine and begun disassembling it...
Pictures to posted...

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's how we started: The tank and side covers are obviously from a '72. The original tank and covers were damaged and the PO had painted them an ugly flat black, so they weren't worth redoing, IMO. I was able to get this set for cheap. The mufflers are EMGO Dunstall replicas (the variety that has the removable baffle).

When I first got it, the rectifier and wiring harness were fried, front brake frozen, the tank and side covers damaged, seat destroyed, and it was super dirty. I replaced the electrics, got the new tank, coated it with Caswell's epoxy liner, rebuilt the master cylinder, carbs, replaced all cables, tires, grips, etc., and did a general cleaning..

The bike ran really well, but the timing was inconsistent. I pulled the tensioner cover and the rollers were shot, so I pulled the engine to replace it and decided I should do some painting while I'm at it...

Engine out!

Spiders during disassembly

I found that my rocker arms and camshaft were damaged.

I stripped the rest of the bike down:

I had originally planed to stick with the stock headset, since it felt smooth, but with just the triple tree, the headset felt pretty brindled.
Most of the races looked OK, but the top race had damage resulting in the notchy feeling.

When I turned the frame upside down to shake out a lost bearing, a bunch of rusty water poured out. It rained the night before, I guess some water collected in the frame...

My center stand is severely bent.

The right fork tube was difficult to pull and upon removal, I found the cover had water inside apparently from this crack. I'll have to seal it up somehow before I install it... Unless anyone has a good set they're willing to part with.

Here are the swing arm collars:

They look a little funky...

The cylinders, rings, pins and pistons all measure well within spec, but the skirts look pretty scratched... still usable?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Nice detailed pictures on the teardown. Great to see you investigating all the parts when taking it apart, will save you pain when going to install. You know what you're up against from the start, no surprises.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
looks good. I have a centerstand if your interested. i found a mouse nest on my left piston head during disassembly. good luck, hope the issues are far between and few

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned the cylinder head and pistons...
I took Bird76Mojo's advice and used some Seafoam to soften up the substantial carbon deposits on the domes and the pistons:

I don't have any before shots exactly but they were pretty bad before hand... this is as far as I got before my dremel brushes wore out... much better:

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HerrDeacon said:
Nice detailed pictures on the teardown. Great to see you investigating all the parts when taking it apart, will save you pain when going to install. You know what you're up against from the start, no surprises.
Keep it up!
Thanks Deacon, Your 400T project is edifying to say the least. btw nice work finding the plugged oil passage on your 400T... Frankly, I hope I don't run into anything like that after I get everything back together... I meant to ask out of curiosity did you have to use all new gaskets or were you able to reuse...?

Woody32 said:
looks good. I have a centerstand if your interested. i found a mouse nest on my left piston head during disassembly. good luck, hope the issues are far between and few
That's a hell of a nest!
Thanks for offering your center stand. I'm thinking I will be able to bend mine back but if not, I may hit you up.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
How did the Seafoam soften up the carbon for you?? I found that the longer I soaked the parts, the easier the carbon brushed/wiped off...

GB :)

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
thrilhou said:
Thanks Deacon, Your 400T project is edifying to say the least. btw nice work finding the plugged oil passage on your 400T... Frankly, I hope I don't run into anything like that after I get everything back together... I meant to ask out of curiosity did you have to use all new gaskets or were you able to reuse...?
I think I got lucky. When I pulled the head and cylinders up to inspect the oil passages, I took them both up together as a unit so the head gasket should be fine. Also, the base gasket separated from the block with no issues. Actually looked to be brand new (PO work?) and it never stuck one bit to the block. Have ran it since with no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
How did the Seafoam soften up the carbon for you?? I found that the longer I soaked the parts, the easier the carbon brushed/wiped off...
It worked really well. I scraped half-heartedly at it before soaking to see how heavy it was... and it didn't really want to go anywhere. I soaked and scraped it off in two layers and it came off pretty quickly.
So thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Budget spinning out of control...

I made the mistake of estimating how much money I'd spent on this thing over the past year and a half.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been painting while I await engine parts...

Everything primed and painted black:

A few things need to be touched up, but in general, not too bad. This is the first time I've ever spray painted anything like this. If I ever have to do it again, it'll be too soon. I truly hate it.

Need to finish painting the frame and I can reassemble!

I disassembled the tach and speedo to repaint the shell. I reassembled the tach and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Much better than rusty, anyway. It's also just about the only thing I've actually accomplished.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
The tach case looks good. What kind of paint did you use? Did you pry the ring off from the bottom side?

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MNellis said:
The tach case looks good. What kind of paint did you use? Did you pry the ring off from the bottom side?
Thanks. Yes, I did pry the ring open on the bottom. It's hard to get it pressed back into shape for reassembly...
I just used plain old Rustoleum semi-gloss protective enamel. It was what was available at a local Autozone... Halfway through this I began to have my doubts about my choice of paint. Not for any particular reason... everything seems to have turned out OK, but I haven't any idea what the durability of this brand is, nor do I know what folks tend to use. What's the consensus?
What brand of paint did you use on your 450, Mike? Did you use rattle can or a gun?
Here are more photos of the clocks:

Speedo before reassembly

Gauges remounted on freshly painted bracket

I didn't paint the pilot light box, so the plastic case looks a little more "weathered" than the gauge cases.

I need to touch up the center stand and swing arm and I can begin putting it all back together!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looking good! My seems tobe "loose sounding", kinda rattles when I rev the bike. Do you think that the rubber bushings are shoot, or should I disassembly the tach and clean and retighten? Your thoughts? Thanks(sorry to thread steal)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CB360 said:
Looking good! My seems tobe "loose sounding", kinda rattles when I rev the bike. Do you think that the rubber bushings are shoot, or should I disassembly the tach and clean and retighten? Your thoughts? Thanks(sorry to thread steal)
No worries.
You might try checking the rubber cushion that sits between the gauge itself and the bottom section. The part number is 37242-323-701 and I believe that they are the same for 350s and 360s.
When I first had the bike running, my gauges rattled like crazy until I replaced this part. The originals were old and hardened. No major work necessary to replace 'em.

I found a link to the schematic for your bike here. Number 6 in the fiche.

That may help... or you could try and make your own with foam rubber weather stripping. Some guys do that.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts