Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right Side:
max 140 psi cold. Couldn't even get it back up to 140 with a bit of oil. odd. Also heard a weird droplet sound with each compression. (any imput would be appreciated. Muffler and exhaust were off)

Left Side:
Spark plug smelled of gasoline. Never got a final number, but couldn't get it over 100 psi. i didn't bother with the oil in the left side.

At the point of such a low psi (and being just under 40 degrees outside), i've decided on New gaskets, check out the valves using acetone, and figure out the cylinders/rings once i get in there.

wish me luck. i have faith that you guys will be there for assistance.

First up, get the engine into our guest bedroom (up three sets of stairs), print out a bit of the honda manuals, and order up a gasket kit....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after looking at the 'What will I need?' post, i'm starting to wonder the same. I ordered up the gasket kit.
Do i need to order an oil seal kit as well?
do i need a flywheel puller and oil filter spanner?
I also noticed in the honda manual, a 10mm universal box wrench. Do i need to order this from Honda?

I have most basic tool and a couple good torque wrenches and read the recommendation for the snap ring pliers (what is this)?pick, impact driver and gasket scraper.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danfr said:
after looking at the 'What will I need?' post, i'm starting to wonder the same. I ordered up the gasket kit.
Do i need to order an oil seal kit as well?
do i need a flywheel puller and oil filter spanner?
I also noticed in the honda manual, a 10mm universal box wrench. Do i need to order this from Honda?

I have most basic tool and a couple good torque wrenches and read the recommendation for the snap ring pliers (what is this)?pick, impact driver and gasket scraper.
You haven't said anything to indicate a bottom-end teardown, so don't so it.
If you're just gonna do the top end, you won't need any special tools for that, other than a valve spring compressor....

The weird "popping" noise you heard in your first post is just the way these engines sound (not running) with no exhaust at all.

And keep a digital camera handy, take lots of photos. Download the manual.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bill.

i assumed to popping was from having the exhaust off. back pressure? yes, i'm only doing a top end teardown. i'm going to redo the compression test as i am not 100% confident with my numbers. and i'm thinking it's pretty key to narrowing down where i am losing the compression.

i have the two cb350 honda manuals downloaded and a couple digital cameras all ready.

is the valve spring compressor something available at an automotive shop or is it specific to the valve size? Does honda make this tool?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danfr said:
thanks bill.
is the valve spring compressor something available at an automotive shop or is it specific to the valve size? Does honda make this tool?

I got one locally, but they're on EBay for $35-40 or so. There are lots of variations in design, typically they look something like this.
A must have if you want to put the valve springs back in.......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taking advantage of clear skies and 10 degree weather (50F) and a day off, i thought i would prep for engine removal. i managed to:

get the carbs off (broke a drain screw while draining the carbs)
exhaust/mufflers
air filters
clutch cable
step bars and kick stand unit
breather hose
and spark plug caps

I'm having a few issues that i'm hoping someone can help me out.

1)Starter motor: never use it and i've heard it's easier to remove the engine with it off. I removed the sprocket and chain under the left cover but cannot manage to get the motor off. There are two screw mounts on the front right side of the bike and that is all i could find. i have huffed and puffed and tried to wiggle the bugger out but with no luck. Has anyone had experience pulling off a starter motor.

2)I cannot figure out how to take off the master chain link. i feel like it should be easy as pie, but both clymers and the honda manual were not helping.

3) whats the best way to take out the broken carb drain screw. the head sorta just popped off. it feels like it is spinning pretty freely.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
danfr said:
1)Starter motor: never use it and i've heard it's easier to remove the engine with it off. I removed the sprocket and chain under the left cover but cannot manage to get the motor off. There are two screw mounts on the front right side of the bike and that is all i could find. i have huffed and puffed and tried to wiggle the bugger out but with no luck. Has anyone had experience pulling off a starter motor.

2)I cannot figure out how to take off the master chain link. i feel like it should be easy as pie, but both clymers and the honda manual were not helping.

3) whats the best way to take out the broken carb drain screw. the head sorta just popped off. it feels like it is spinning pretty freely.
(1) Just keep jiggling it as you pull it back, mine took a lot of effort to remove.

(2) If you have the rear left side cover off, you should be able to move the rear wheel forward and nudge the chain off of the sprocket.

(3) Sorry, no idea, maybe an "easy out" tool?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took the side cover off and hammered the starter motor out.

i took off the front sprocket and got the drive chain off.

BUT having little mechanical experience, I still do not know how to get a broken screw out.

Engine is ready for removal! I think it'll be coming out this Saturday weather permitting.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You can't get anything clamped onto that drain screw? Like Vice Grips or channel locks??? Seems to me that you should be able to..

If all else fails, you may be better off buying another carb bowl to replace the one with that stripped drain screw..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll post a photo tonight if i have time. I don't know if i'll be able to get at it with a pair of pliers. I didn't seem too tight when i was unscrewing it before the top popped off. i may be able to just apply pressure with a screwdriver and turn. The new carb bowl screws are free as my gasket kit is backordered a couple weeks. I'll investigate further and report back.

Update:

Got the screw out with a small flat head. Also checked the mail tonight and i received a $120 GST cheque from the government. That should cover my battery woes. this day just got a bit better....still.....Yuasa vs. Scorpion...

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as i am waiting until saturday for my buddy to come round to pull the engine, I got a little antsy. i love the look of the brat style seats.

You can tell from the angle but i bottomed out near the back. i don't plan on having anyone ride back there anyways. The foam is pretty thinned out but i've put thousands of miles on bike saddles thinner than a toothpick and carbon fiber. I was going to round off the sides but i've thrown in the towel and will let a professional upholster the rest.

i've made a few decisions this week. i'll be doing up the engine in flat black. Should i paint before engine disassembly? Also, I live on the 'wet'coast in canada and the amount of rainfall is ridiculous and can't be bothered rejetting, so i'm canning the idea of pods. I'll be looking for some UNI replacement filters. AND AM SELLING MY NOS STILL IN PACKAGING K&N POD filters (rod from oz....?)

I'm super pumped to get into the engine. but worry about doing it right. More not knowing and therefor not asking. ie "How about the tappet adjuster shafts - did you loosen the setting all the way before putting it back together??". What the hell is a tappet adjuster shaft? I would've never known to loosen this mysterious mechanism. I'm mostly concerned about cam timing. Where should the cam be set when i take the head off? When do i take of the chain tensioner, etc etc. Any insight from the pros would be appreciated immensely!

Off to finish White Tiger. A canaDAN recommended read

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The local upholstery shop wanted to charge me $175 plus parts to recover the seat. if anyone is interested in making a bit of coin and has a bit of experience, send me a PM. my seat needs to be finished but not for that price.

should i be painting the engine BEFORE i get in there?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Price around man. Call or stop by all of the upholstery shops in your area. I did exactly that and finally found a lady that did a custom seat for me for $75.00 total.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
danfr said:
should i be painting the engine BEFORE i get in there?
If you're going to be disassembling the engine I wouldn't paint it first. I would either paint each piece separately before reassembly or paint it when fully complete after you're finished.

Try to clean any loose dirt though before tearing it down, to minimize anything getting in there.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You could hold the flywheel with a strap wrench or wedge a penny between the clutch/crankshaft gears?? I think I splained that right?? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Or you could put the bike in gear and have your girlfriend step on the brake. This presupposes, of course, that you have a clutch installed and a chain installed and a brake rod attached etc, etc. :)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts