Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new set of tires on my '73 CB350G. It has the stock rims.
This is the first time I've purchased tires so I'm trying to figure all these measurements out.

My number one concern is performance (speed and handling). I've read all the threads about oversized tires, and I get it, I don't need oversized.
I also don't have a strong preference for either a vintage style or modern style.

I'm looking at Avon Roadrunner Am26's.
90/90/18 front, 100/90/18 rear. This seems pretty close to stock.
Dunlop D404s come in 100/90/18 and 110/90/18.
Haven't really found a vintage looking tire in these sizes that has reviews as good as modern tires.

Assuming I don't want to spend more than $150 per tire, what's the best performance (street riding) tire and size?

thanks!

·
Sensei
27,066 Posts
Well, for starters, a 90/90 X 18 tire is roughly the correct metric sizing for the REAR tire (approximately a 3.50" size), NOT the front......
The closest metric sizing you will likely find for the FRONT would be an 80/90 X 18... (approx 3.15")

100/90's and 110/90's are BOTH already over-sized compared to the stock size tires, even just on the rear.....

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
any of the modern tires are far better than the tires made back in the day.
best advice is to buy tires in the exact same sizes as stock. all the metric sized tires will typically be recommended for wider rims even though the numbers roughly translate to your original tires. to be certain of recommended rim widths ask the tire manufacturer.

Hidenau is good, and so are any of the other tires in the correct sizes, like Duro, IRC, etc. and are much better than the originals that came with the bike new. you can get a set of IRC that look like the stock tires and are much better for about $150 for the set...Duro are even cheaper and still decent. I've been running the IRC lately and change them every 2 years since they are so cheap. I've not tried Hidenau but will probably give them a go on my next build just to try but they are more expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts