Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a project is it to completely clean up the wiring from the headlight back? I look at mine now and I see nothing but wires everywhere like a pile of spaghetti. I want to simplify it (if possible) and clean it up to make it look more "open". Tips? Is this going to be a pain?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Totally can be done. I think one of the members here has a diagram for a very basic bike circuit. Honestly, there isn't too much to these bikes and the original wiring diagram is fairly straightforward. Do you have a copy of the shop manual? If not shoot me either a PM or an email and I'll send you the PDF.

I'm currently in process of rewiring a 1979 triumph spitfire and that truly is a nightmare.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Actually I would use a oversized Print of the wiring diagrahm printed at an office supply store.

Attached is a Graphic you can right click on and SAVE-AS then take to a print shop to have blown up.
Mine is 18 x 24 and it makes it super easy to trace the wires.

Wiring_cb350_stock_wiring.jpg

Reactions: f100owner

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know when I opened the headlight on my cl, it made me cringe. My first thought was how hard would it to be to swap out to a wiring or terminal block. After a while I just decided it works. Still think a terminal block would be the way to go in the headlight, but after that the existing connectors seem fine. I have thought about buying the OEM or upgraded wiring kits from:
http://www.sparckmoto.com/Content/images/products/97/1.jpg
or just do a piecemeal upgrade using supplies from their other site - All Products - Vintage Connections

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think there is a wiring dia for a cb 350 chopper on the net. very easy , its been several years since I worked on a 350 but I think there is a member that did this you might look in the 350 elec section. Myself I just laid it out on a table and moved things around till I found what I wanted. Just keep a record of how you did it for reference or the next owner.

Bill

·
Registered
971 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else here already said.

The 350 harness is about as simple as you can get without starting to remove some things.

One of the changes I usually make is to remove the parking light circuit and swap the tail light over to always on. This saves a couple of wires.

Anything after that and you're looking at removing functionality (such as the electric start circuit).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Clean connections with D4 and scotchbrite and reassemble. Money better spent upgrading the alternator. I'm still saving for it...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know when I opened the headlight on my cl, it made me cringe. My first thought was how hard would it to be to swap out to a wiring or terminal block. After a while I just decided it works. Still think a terminal block would be the way to go in the headlight, but after that the existing connectors seem fine. I have thought about buying the OEM or upgraded wiring kits from:
http://www.sparckmoto.com/Content/images/products/97/1.jpg
or just do a piecemeal upgrade using supplies from their other site - All Products - Vintage Connections
Right? I put an LED bulb in my headlight and gasped at the rat's nest of wires.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Right? I put an LED bulb in my headlight and gasped at the rat's nest of wires.
While the wiring is a bit messy in the headlight shell, it does work and when the connectors are all clean, goes years before ever needing to be looked at if ever. Modern bikes likely have different connection points but also undoubtedly have more wires with all the functions available (drive by wire, cruise control, ABS, fuel injection instead of carbs, additional gauges/warning lights etc, etc). Bikes were so comparatively simple back then that when you look at what is actually connected in that area, it's only a handful of functions, just done with loose wires in a small space. If you go streamlined on the bike's wiring - no turn signals or electric start, minimal functions - you can do what I did on my 450 and route all the wires, including the main harness, under the gas tank and hide all the connections there under a couple of harness covers, one over the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Nice pic thanks, can you help with a little problem, I have a CB350K4 and am rebuilding it, on the right hand side near the starter solenoid there are two red wires on 6mm eye terminal and I can remember where they go, any ideas? Cheers, Martin.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi, Nice pic thanks, can you help with a little problem, I have a CB350K4 and am rebuilding it, on the right hand side near the starter solenoid there are two red wires on 6mm eye terminal and I can remember where they go, any ideas? Cheers, Martin.
Martin, you should start your own thread with your question in the appropriate section to get more exposure. PM sent

1 - 12 of 12 Posts