Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've tried looking through this forum and couldn't find anything involving this issue for my 1971 Honda CB350 regarding the valve adjustments. This bike was previously owned by a little old lady who babied it. It had low miles and is unmolested. That being said I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned out the tank, new fuel lines, cleaned the electrical connections,

The last thing I wanted to do before I started it was to check the valve adjustment and adjust the cam chain. I turned the engine over until I lined up the LT mark with the timing mark and the piston is up at the top of the cylinder (I visually/physically checked it). When I checked the rocker arms they were tight and felt as if they were pressing down on the valves. I tried loosing them up but there wasn't enough play to make them loose as stated in the manual. There is still compression though as I can feel it as I turn the engine over. I tried turning the engine over 360 degrees and the same issue occurred. The only place I can feel the rocker arms loose is just before or just after TDC. Do any of you think that it is possible that someone took this stator out and didn't put it back in correctly?

The valve adjustment is pretty straightforward for this...but something doesn't seem right with this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where is the pin on the camshaft when you’re at this position? Is it at noon? Pop off the spark advance and check it out. Also are the marks on the end of the rocker cams pointing away from each other?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hi,

I've tried looking through this forum and couldn't find anything involving this issue for my 1971 Honda CB350 regarding the valve adjustments. This bike was previously owned by a little old lady who babied it. It had low miles and is unmolested. That being said I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned out the tank, new fuel lines, cleaned the electrical connections,

The last thing I wanted to do before I started it was to check the valve adjustment and adjust the cam chain. I turned the engine over until I lined up the LT mark with the timing mark and the piston is up at the top of the cylinder (I visually/physically checked it). When I checked the rocker arms they were tight and felt as if they were pressing down on the valves. I tried loosing them up but there wasn't enough play to make them loose as stated in the manual. There is still compression though as I can feel it as I turn the engine over. I tried turning the engine over 360 degrees and the same issue occurred. The only place I can feel the rocker arms loose is just before or just after TDC. Do any of you think that it is possible that someone took this stator out and didn't put it back in correctly?

The valve adjustment is pretty straightforward for this...but something doesn't seem right with this. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you watch the left cylinder intake valve open and then close while you were rotating the crankshaft to LT? If not, you could be on the overlap between exhaust valve closing and intake valve opening.
However, your first order of business would be to properly introduce yourself to the community. Check your Conversations as below - thanks.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Like Tom says, find the compression stroke by watching the intake valve open and close. Another is to watch the points for that cylinder, roll the engine forward until you see the points begin to open, stop there and adjust the valves on that cylinder. It isn't uncommon for the valve clearance to tighten up a bit as the miles go by and valves wear into the seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was watching when the rocker for the intake closed and became loose but that was well after TDC as indicated in the manual. This was the same for the exhaust rocker as well. Both of them were extremely tight on TDC and could not be loosened up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts