Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to tune my engine up now that I have finally got my non running CB350 that I bought at the end of the summer running. My issue is that the rocker arms don't seem to free up when I get the engine in top dead center. I was wondering what the cause of this may be. Did I set my cam chain properly? I lined up the engine to TDC and then moved 90 degrees to that mark, and that is where I set the cam chain. I looked through the spark plug holes to confirm that the piston was indeed at the top. Let me know what I may be doing wrong as my engine when it did fire up was idling high (around 3000 rpm). I am really excited to tune it up and getting it riding again. thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the valves be that tight that you can't move the rocker arms freely?
I can adjust the them but I still am having difficulties with getting the feeler gauge where it needs to be. Part of this is also due to my clymer manual not having a good picture as to what I am measuring, but I suppose I could see about trying to loosen them. anyone know where I can find a good writeup on an adjustment procedure? maybe with decent pictures?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Part of this is also due to my clymer manual not having a good picture as to what I am measuring
Try to get a Honda Shop Manual or a Factory Shop Manual. I have both a shop and a Clymer's and the shop manual is way far better and accurate. Did you try youtube? You might see how to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
2nd on GET a FSM .

It can be downloaded from the common Motor collective Site.

They have a section of Manuals and the 350 FSM is in there.

Also IF your rockers were NOT loose and free to wiggle (slightly) when you did your cam Chain Tension adjustment - it is NOT correct.

ALL (4) Rockers MUST be free to wiggle when setting the cam chain.
If NOT there is still tension on it.
It MUST be at it's max Slack point when adjusted.

The Best Time to set the Valve Clearance on a Rebuild is BEFORE you re-mount the motor.
But If it is already in Place I would suggest you release the Back End of the Gas Tank from the Rubber Holder and Lift the Tanks Tab above the Rubber Holder.
This will give you a significant increase in accessibility to the Intake Valves.

2nd MOST all Feelers sold today are too wide and will create interference when attempting to adjust the valves..
Take a set of SNIPS to your .002, .003, .004 & .005 Feeler Gauges and cut them in Half length wise.
The original HONDA Feeler Strips that came with the TOOL Kit were about the same as taking todays standard Feelers after doing just that.

Use the .002 (Intake) & .004 (Exhaust) Feelers to get the valves to JUST drag a little, with the feelers being able to slide in & out.
Then Use the .003 (on the Intake) as a NO-GO Gauge that will NOT slide in between the Valve Stem & the Rocker Tip.
Do the Same on the Exhaust with the .005.

What you want is the Correct Size to slide in with a TAD of resistance and the next larger size to NOT go in at all.
That is your setting point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks all for the help I figured it out. they were able to wiggle slightly I think I was expecting it wiggle more and didn't know what I was looking for. I think it is all good now and the adjustments went well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts