Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve never posted here before but here goes. I was given a twin after I totaled my harley drag bike. Plan was to make it a street bike, but things have gotten wild and now we’re looking at a trip to the salt. The build is barely getting off the ground but thought I would share and open up for any advice or critiques!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Got a little time in on the front end and rear sprocket carrier today. Polished up the lower triple, had to grind away at that mount behind the neck a hair to make it work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard. I'd suggest joining SCTA which will get you the rule book. SCTA Website Home Page
For an LSR you can loose that front brake rotor.
Thank you for that! Rule book incoming. I already had the ama supplemental one. I’m going to street ride it with the stock motor this season. My attempt is planned for next summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Can anyone help me Id these forks? 35mm. No numbers. Were in an arces front end. I need a rebuild kit

·
Registered
308 Posts
They look very Italian. They look like Ceriani forks to me. Some are highly sought after and expensive. Some even make replicas. Italian Marzocchi and Paioli were probably the best/among the best suspension manufacturers through the 70's and in the early 80's. But Ceriani had a very similar (modern) design even a bit before them (late 60's, early 70's). I think many GP bikes had them too.

But I think some were also used by Harley, and those are probably not so much racing-oriented or probably not as rare either...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look very Italian. They look like Ceriani forks to me. Some are highly sought after and expensive. Some even make replicas. Italian Marzocchi and Paioli were probably the best/among the best suspension manufacturers through the 70's and in the early 80's. But Ceriani had a very similar (modern) design even a bit before them (late 60's, early 70's). I think many GP bikes had them too.

But I think some were also used by Harley, and those are probably not so much racing-oriented or probably not as rare either...
Wow! Well they certainly do appear to be Ceriani gp forks in arces triples. I pulled them off of a Suzuki gs1100 drag bike a couple years ago. Never looked into road racing type stuff. There are indentions in the dust boots too where those clamps should be.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's really neat. The Japanese made motorcycle engines that surpass any European engine capability of that time. But the frames and suspension were very poor in comparison. British bikes handled well, but I think Italians were as ahead in suspension and frame design as the japanese were in engine design. I've had a chance to ride an old Guzzi S3 once. I don't think the suspension was fully original, but it was period correct aftermarket (f.e. Marzocchi ag 1 rear shocks, and while the cartridge forks were stock on old Guzzis, they had aftermarket cartridges). The bike felt like on rails (as solid as you'd expect from a modern bike), and the integrated brembo brakes offered a great feel and easy handling. But the engine is very different from any Honda, even (or especially) the CX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's really neat. The Japanese made motorcycle engines that surpass any European engine capability of that time. But the frames and suspension were very poor in comparison. British bikes handled well, but I think Italians were as ahead in suspension and frame design as the japanese were in engine design. I've had a chance to ride an old Guzzi S3 once. I don't think the suspension was fully original, but it was period correct aftermarket (f.e. Marzocchi ag 1 rear shocks, and while the cartridge forks were stock on old Guzzis, they had aftermarket cartridges). The bike felt like on rails (as solid as you'd expect from a modern bike), and the integrated brembo brakes offered a great feel and easy handling. But the engine is very different from any Honda, even (or especially) the CX.
So she may end up the best of all worlds then. We’ve been going through the frame and correcting all that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Eight hours later the front end is on. Had to make an axle, neck stem, collar nut and wheel spacers. Still have some final adjustments but I’ll deal with that at final assembly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sneak peek at the frame. The rear sub was crashed, so it was cut off and a hardtail of sorts was bent. Drop seat frame. All tubing is hand bent in house. Currently quick tack weld for mock up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

We’ve been slowly making a one piece fiberglass body similar to the old Tracy’s. I tacked up a sheet metal mold then built up expanding foam tape and bondo then we started laying glass. It will eventually be attached and molded to the fiberglass tank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Got the tires mounted today. Working on a glass mould for the front fender and mounting the fairing. Really happy with the progress

1 - 19 of 19 Posts