Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing one of the sprocket studs on my dad's 350. One of them sheared right off at some point and I just noticed it the other day so I am replacing it and giving him a new chain.

I went to take the sprocket off the wheel, got it off no problem. Of the studs, two slid out with no resistance. Luckily one of them was the broken one.

The other two were VERY stuck and did not want to move at all. I was able to use the "two nut" method to at least rotate one of them to the correct orientation so that it lines up with the sprocket (they were all pointing in random directions before).

However on this last one it will not rotate, much less come out. I have tried the two nuts, only to see the stud rotate a little bit, maybe 5* or more, only to snap back to where it was when I stop pushing on the wrench. I am using a 16" wrench and working hard to get it to turn. I have also used PB blaster on front and back, and tried smacking it from the back (inside the hub) with no luck.

At the minimum I just need to rotate it like 1/8 turn so it will be facing the correct direction (flat side toward center of hub).

IMG_8094.jpg IMG_8094.jpg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,908 Posts
Paticience - Let the PB Blaster do it's thing.
Soak it daily or even twice daily for a cople of days and come back to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just did some additional reading on here and it looks like the metal sleeve in the inside of the bushing is rusted to the stud. That's why it can rotate slightly, the bushing is twisting a bit. I had to put the wheel back on the bike so I could move it. I suppose I will get it off again and go to soaking the studs. I didn't see many other options on here aside from pounding, which I will also try again after soaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I soaked both sides off and on for three days. Just tried some heat as well.trying the same stuff as before, and getting nowhere. Trying to use two nuts is just ruining the threads on the stud. It isn’t budging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using a cutting wheel on a dremel and shaping the stud to fit. Since it wouldn't rotate I just made the side facing center flat. This worked for me. I also hade a broken tongue washer (retains sprocket nuts) so I used M10 x 1.00 Nylock nuts and they worked out (so far).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that, and I was applying PB blaster and hitting the back with no luck.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top