Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to change the front sprocket in my cb350 to get the rpms down a bit at higher speeds. To this end, I wanted to open the engine side cover to 1.) see if could do this and 2.) check and make sure I have the stock sprocket. I figured I wouldn't even order the new sprocket if I couldn't get the engine side cover off.

I was able to get the engine side cover off. I did have to remove the foot gear shifter. For a moment I thought I would have to remove the exhaust, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.

The engine side cover has four screws holding it in place. I undid those. I didn't know they were the only screws I needed to undo thus I loosened the clutch adjustment nut and screw.

Once I got the engine side cover off, I confirmed I had the stock 16T sprocket. I saw a ton of dirt that's probably 40 years old so I did some cleaning. Then I proceeded to put everything back together. That's when I had some problems.

With everything back on, I noticed my handlebar clutch lever was super light. It wasn't engaging something. It took me a while but I figured out the clutch adjustment nut and screw on the engine side cover. With that figured out, my clutch had feel again. I wanted to take the bike for a ride around the block to make sure everything was working. However, with the key in the on position, I noticed I wasn't in neutral anymore. I started this whole exercise with the bike in neutral. I pretty much always park the bike in neutral. I then pulled the clutch lever and used my left foot to see if I could get the bike into neutral. But when I engaged the shifter with my foot, there was zero feel. It's kinda like what I had with the clutch lever earlier. It's very light like it's not engaging anything. Pressing up or down does nothing.

I took the engine side cover off again to see if there was anything obvious I was missing. I didn't make any changes to the shifter itself. I did make some change to the clutch, but I'm not sure how that affects the shifter. I noticed next to the sprocket there's a rod which goes across the engine to the clutch plates. I have a feeling something is wrong with that rod (now). Maybe my clutch mechanism isn't engaging that rod somehow.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, doode,

I didn't actually do the sprocket swap yet. I was basically just looking around. I wanted to see if I could remove the engine side cover to take a look at the sprocket. My plan tomorrow is to open the other other side...the one covering the clutch plates and take a look there. I'm guessing the clutch rod next to the front sprocket somehow isn't engaging something around the clutch plates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You mention that with the key on you no longer get neutral. This sounds like you may have disturbed the neutral switch that is under the cover that you removed when you cleaned under there. Are you actually able to get the trans in neutral, just not the green light on? If so then re-clean the switch contacts with some brake parts cleaner or other.

Mine was goobered-up pretty good. I actually took it apart and sanded the brass contacts with 600 grit sandpaper. It shines brightly now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Brubor2015,

I mis-worded the situation. With the key in, I noticed I wasn't in neutral anymore even though I was in neutral before taking things apart. I had to pull the clutch lever in to move the bike around. I'm not sure what gear I'm in but it's not neutral. Once I noticed I wasn't in neutral, I pulled in the clutch lever again and tried to use the gear shifter to get into neutral. That's when I noticed the gear shifter wasn't working.

Last night I read some of the posts on clutch adjustments. There are some really lengthy threads on that topic! Today I'll try some of the suggestions. Hopefully my problem is my clutch isn't properly adjusted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I did some work on the bike today. doode suggested I make sure I didn't lose the ball bearing which makes contact with the clutch pushrod. It was there so I didn't lose it. I worked on the clutch adjustment and got the clutch to work. With the bike on the side stand and with the clutch lever pulled in I was able to shift back and forth between first and neutral. In fact, finding neutral was easier than before.

Then I went for a test ride and noticed I could shift past neutral. I couldn't upshift from neutral into 2nd. So that's where I left it today. To get the the shifter to work I did adjust the shifter rod. Tomorrow I'll try adjusting that some more so see if I can get the bike to shift past neutral. I read in another post the bike won't shift past neutral if the rear wheel isn't moving so I'll utilize the center stand and roll the rear wheel when I test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts