Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster here. I started on this '71 CB350 a few months ago as my first ever build. Got the bike virtually all stock:

IMG_1089.jpg

Immediately tore down the bike to a rolling chassis. Used a cognito moto conversion stem to swap on a 2007 GSXR 600 front end, and here's how the bike sits today.

IMG_2695.jpg

Since this photo was taken, the frame has been de-tabbed and is awaiting seat installation, which should happen after a couple supporting brackets are welded in. Now on to the question portion of this post; I'll preface this by stating I've tried searching multiple forums and reached out to a couple companies for an answer, but have come up blank.

I'm running a 120/70R17 up front on the stock GSXR wheel, which I plan on sticking with. I would like to run something slightly larger in the rear, also on a 17" wheel, which would be laced to the factory hub. Depending on which exact tire I run, I have a couple rim options for 130-140 width tires. For example, I could do a Battlax BT-39 130/70R17 on a 3.5" rim, or a Battlax Hypersport S20 Evo 140/70R17 on a 4.25" rim. Has anyone ran a tire this wide without doing any chain clearance modifications? And yes, before you ask, I realize that a wider tire doesn't magically create a better handling bike. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Sensei
27,168 Posts
The following is JUST an OPINION.....
You will possibly have to fabricate a swingarm to get the necessary clearance for the rims and tires as well as the chain and sprocket offset increase....
This means re-positioning at least the left shock as well..... The offset front sprocket will add leverage loading to the countershaft bearings......
At this point, you might be better off just using the GSXR rear wheel in your newly fabricated swingarm so at least the wheels match (as aesthetics seem to override practicality and functionality)........

JMHO

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think you'll be better off springing for the Cognito Moto front hub, and lacing it to the stock width rims. That's what I did, take a look at my CB350. I think you'll agree, the tires look more than substantial enough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts