Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was selling this running (but not titled) CB350 for $500 and I decided to grab it. I needed a demo bike for our upcoming three phase stator kit and the price was right.

It's currently running from a capacitor with the original regulator and rectifier and zero lighting.

The plans are to get the paperwork in order, install all the necessary controls and lights so that I can get it back to street legal state, and then swap out the stator for one of our kits.

Also in the works is solving the identity crisis. The bike currently has the front end from an XL250, but the back end is stock. I have some Konis and an SL swinger on the way from a fellow enthusiast here in Oregon. New tires will probably be on the menu as well.

I'm hoping this thing will be offroad capable so that I can finally learn to ride off the street, but I will eventually be selling it, so I'm hoping to not pour too much $$$ into it...

20180421_130548.jpg

20180421_130557.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got an afternoon of work in, yesterday.

The tank has been filled with Metal Rescue for two days and that's loosened a ton of crap. I've rinsed the tank out with some old bad gas I've had laying around and it took about five tried before chunks stopped clogging the petcock. I did another few times after that just to be sure.

Got some Uni filters onto the carbs and the bike fired up on the 4th kick or so.

Up next is the electrical work. I'm waiting on an electrics tray from Cognito Moto before I tear too far into it. I may give the bike a precursory cleaning while I wait...

20180507_182247.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The S100 arrived on Saturday, so I hosed the bike down and then rinsed it off. Not the best cleaning job ever, but for next to zero effort, it was pretty damn good.

I also got a cheapo headlight shell from eBay (with integrated turn signals) and then put one of our LED bulbs into it ($45 from our website). New universal controls are mocked up as well (also from our website for $65).

The headlight bucket required a little modification, but nothing a hole saw and a drill press couldn't fix.

New grips are already on the way and I have a battery arriving soon as well.

20180511_165325.jpg

20180513_095258.jpg

20180513_095306.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Drilled through the electronics tray to mount the battery. The positive terminal gets a nylon spacer and rubber grommet to pass through and the negative side is just bolted right to the tray. Our three phase permanent magnet regulator/rectifier ($45 on our website or direct PayPal purchase here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=P6MXV4P9FJTN6 ) got bolted to the underside.

20180515_160803.jpg

Tight fit, but at least it's not going anywhere.

20180515_160815.jpg

Cheapo integrated tail light is mounted up. I zip-tied the ends to the frame and then secured it with an upcoming product: Self-vulcanizing silicone tape. The tape contains no adhesive, but chemically bonds to itself. Within a few minutes of contact, the tape forms an solid chunk of silicone that is entirely water proof and heat safe up to 350°F.

20180515_170934.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is very awesome and you’re moving fast with this build. I can’t wait to see it off road. I’ve been enjoying a lot of that on my cb450 lately along with the SL350 with CL and CB parts bike my son and i put together.
I like your 21” front wheel.

His bike.
(Btw, thank for all the electrical help you did on this one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mounted up a new universal front fender from Acerbis, finished up the wiring, added some stickers, and used more of our self-vulcanizing tape to wrap the kicker.

Still need to sort out some gauges, a rear fender, and some tires. Also waiting on the Koni's and SL swinger to arrive.

20180519_183732.jpg

20180519_183738.jpg

20180519_194537.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts