Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1971 CB350 wasn't ran for about 2 weeks and went to start it up with no success. Cam chain, valve clearance, point gaps were all set before and it was running fine. Just re-set the point gaps (both spark) and bike fired up but only on the right cylinder. Spark plug gaps correctly spaced. Note: Both spark plugs were wet after kicking initially trying to get it to start up.

Currently: Removed gas tank as my focus is turning to the ignition coils (since they are original 1971). Can they just got bad after sitting for a short time like that? Could it be that the spark plug wire isn't making good contact with the boot? If so, I trimmed the wire about 1/4" to get a fresh contact, but I am at the shortest limit and anymore would require a longer wire to reach the boot. The wire is not replaceable I am assuming and it would need a whole new ignition coil, correct?

Had my helmet on and ready to ride the day before after being on vacation for a week. Safe to say I was a little bummed when it wouldn't start!

Thanks for the help as always!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I've had condensers go bad just sitting.

Try replacing the plug on that side.

If that didnt work, try shooting some ( not much! ) starter fluid on that side while running.

Thats all I got for suggestions from the info you posted. I'm sure someone here much smarter will chime in soon.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Try a fresh set of spark plugs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a fresh set of plugs in. Only right cylinder runs.
Ill try some starter fluid to see if i can get it to start

·
Registered
10 Posts
In your first paragraph, you mentioned you have spark at the points gap, but didn't mention if you have spark at both plug gaps. Are both plugs firing?

If so, move onto the carbs. You then mentioned both plugs were wet?

Normally, plugs that fire, unless gas is being dumped into the cylinder, won't be wet.

So, moving onto the carbs. More specifically, the bowls. Or rather, start at the bowls, and work your way up. Gasoline these days is barely that. Not only does it gel quickly, but seems to attract debris like a magnet. If the right cylinder won't take any throttle, bogging immediately, then I would go right to the pilot (slow) jet. Those buggers are tiny, and clog very easily.

I just got my SL350 a couple weeks ago, but already ran into this issue myself. These bikes are dead nuts simple. Not much to go wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts