Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Cylinder Head and Base gaskets included in the Top End Gasket kits for later model CB350 twins will work on a 1968-1969 CB350? Many of the gaskets sets have a disclaimer for not matching 1968 & 1969 cylinder gasket part numbers. Other CB350 top end gasket sets are labled as being for 1970-1973 only models. Can I make these later head gaskets work on my 1969 CB350? Is there any difference between the early Head and Base gaskets compared to the 1970-1973 gaskets?

My 1969 CB350 has a leaking head gasket and smokes a bit out of one cylinder. I'm taking down the top end to check and refresh, just wondering what gasket set will work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but I don't know of any changes in the engine that would require a different head gasket. The different part number is probably just a production improvement. If you get the gasket, just compare it to the old gasket or all the openings on your cylinder and head to make sure nothing is blocked.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
A little while back I had an early and a later head side by side and I don't remember that gasket surface was different. I think you should be fine... And I'm sure you could def get it to work. What is stamped on the underside of your head? Often there's an M# but apparently the early ones were different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Doode, the only thing stamped on the underside of the head is an "E" by the right Exhaust port on the bottom fin and a "2" on the left side by the Exhaust port bottom fin.

I got a 1970 - 1973 top end engine rebuild Vesrah gasket kit for my K1 engine. The head gaskets align fin, it's missing two holes that my other gasket had for the oil channels around the cam chain on the intake side of the gasket. I used some gasket punches to put the two holes I needed in the gasket and it looks like the gasket set will work without further modifications.

Unfortunately, as others have noted elsewhere, these kits are complete except for the 4 o-rings needed for the camshaft ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts