Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been reading tons about 350 twins lately, and settled on this forum to share my project.

I'm needing some advice on what bike to source a front end from. I want to run spoked wheels, but a complete modern front end. Forks/brakes/handlebars/controls etc. Like a honda 919 for example. Does anyone have input as to what front would adapt well? I might stick with rear drum, but a compete rear end (swing arm, rear disc) upgrade would really be up my alley.

Anyways, the details so far:

Started off by rebuilding the carbs (got them half polished as well), to see if the motor ran healthy. The original tank was a write off, sourced a good one off ebay which I should have soon.
The exhaust was also toast, so some dunstall pipes went on for the time being. Here are pictures while the bike was still together.

Today we tore the bike apart to bare frame. Nothing will go back together till it looks close to new. I've had a few other bike projects, but this one has excited me most.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'd suggest the CM 400 forks..... The trees are a bolt in, you can run the dual piston Honda calipers with a modern master, and finding an 18" spoked disc wheel should not be that hard...... If you want a 19, a CB 650/4 standard model (not custom) has a nice wheel.......Bill says they work well on the heavier 450, so some "oil tuning" or 33mm emulators would do it...

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Welcome aboard. It looks like you've got a lot of "elbow room" to work in there. That's always a good thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

You'll have to excuse my lack of experience with swapping parts. The bikes I've restored are all stock, so taking parts from other bikes.. and my general bike knowledge is minimal.
The suzuki GT185 in this picture is what started it all for me:

I've been doing cars for 10 years now, and the bike thing is a new chapter for me.

66Sprint, that fork suggestion is what I'm looking for. I was really hoping to find something off a newer bike, but the direct bolt on will make things easy.

I'm thinking about getting some wheels done @ http://www.buchananspokes.net Will the hub from a CB650 bolt onto the CM400 forks?

Stole this from another thread, but this is a similar look to what I want out of my 350.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Same axle diameter....You'll have to adjust for centering with (probably) modified spacers....May require rotor or caliper spacing as well.......
Almost any forks can be used IF you swap the stems and/or re-do bearings (inverted ones too)
Choose some you like and we'll see if we can get specs.....
A local racer has Goldwing forks on his 350....w/dual discs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The frame is now fully striped and primed, the engine has been prepped and partially painted. Made a last minute change and decided to go black with the majority of the engine, with polished accents.

There is a complete front end, lights bars wheel brakes everything off a 2008 Harley Nightster for sale locally. I never thought I'd consider HD parts...

But the style of everything would work so well with what I'm trying to do. 66Sprint, or anyone... what would it take to fit it? I've decided to stick with a newer front end. SO i'm looking at every option under the sun.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I "think" that the Hardley Ableson stem would be thicker from what I've read in the past, but I'm no expert on these things...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The side covers will be polished alot more, and there will be other accents added later.

So is it possible to fit the HD front end at all? If the stem is thicker.. can I change the bearing on my frame?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Before I tell you how to do this, ...some basics...
ANY changes to a bikes steering geometry will have specific consequences........
bikes are extremely affected by small changes to their 'stance'..... a longer overall fork/wheel or longer wheelbase increases the functional RAKE ANGLE.... shorter front ends essentially decrease Rake.....changing the amount of Forward Offset in the trees can RADICALLY change the "quickness" of steering, (as does any change that alters the "trail' figures)......
To avoid all these problems, you need to either chose a front end that has the SAME fork length, SAME Offset, and was designed to carry an overall weight within the bikes parameters....
Or, employ a set-up that yields the handling characteristics you desire.....(This requires some engineering type calculations and is generally NOT WISE for a novice)

That being said, a stem swap (having a stem that fits your bike's neck machined and welded/trued in) is usually the most expeditious way to go.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still tempted by the HD front, but yes.. realize there are many variables. The HD is a heavy bike compared to the 350.

I just really want a modern fork.. Most sport bike front ends have the non clip on style bars.. finding one with is hard. I'm trying to source on asap.

There is a 919 fork on ebay, but not sure how tough that would be either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0325954896

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Google GSXR750 and CB350 and see if anything comes up. I remember someone else using the GSXR front end and it looked like it'd work nicely. I think a stem swap and a little machining was necessary but...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Thanks for posting that Steve. I couldn't remember where it was. He states it's only a stem swap but that the steering stops had to be removed and a new one made. From the look of it, it also changed the bikes geometry a good bit.. Good or bad, time would tell I suppose..

P.S. It's under the bikes section to the left side...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts