Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I rebuilt my CB350 engine (9k original miles), I used all new Honda seals and gaskets and had delta camshaft resurface the cam (stock grind). Everything runs good but I found oil leaking out of the left side points cover. Now to start the riding season off I pulled the left cam housing off and replaced the oil seal, gasket, and rocker o-rings as I was not sure what was exactly leaking.

I have taken the bike out for about a 20 mile ride and it is still leaking oil. Tonight I pulled it back apart and I could see fresh oil leaking from the cam shaft/oil seal matting surface. Some items to note:

- The oil seal is size is 22, 35, 5 - I had read that you want this one not the 22, 35, 6.
- I do not feel any groves on the camshaft with my finger nail, it feels smooth
- The inside of the cam housing looks good, no noticeable wear, the return oil passage at the bottom is clear
- A quick measurement shows the cam shaft at 21.95, note i need to re-measure as the caliper didn't fit well, also need to measure for out of round

Does anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Every seal I have in a housing or new is 22 35 6. I buy them from Honda.

These seals are directional in regards to the rotation of the shaft. The channels in the seal push the oil into the engine. A couple of the seals I have have arrows showing the desired shaft rotation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doode, I missed your post, the seal does have the spring on the inside. Also when looking at the seal there is no gap, If I pull up hard on the cam I can maybe see the tiniest bit of movement. Some more reading would likely suggest warn cam housing as it is the bearing, it all feels good but I guess I am not sure what would feel bad either. Here was an earlier post on my cam, note I did get it sent off to delta: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/73417-cb350k4-cam-specification-questions.html.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To provide an update I replaced the oil seal with the seal from 4into1 and no more leaking. Either the last two OEM seals were installed incorrectly by me or they were bad, or the alternate seal with the directional grooves help hold back the oil where the OEM ones could not due to wear in the cam bearing blocks.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts