Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed the engine laying the bike on its right side.

I was hoping to reinstall it by laying the engine on its right side and placing the frame around it. It seemed to work on a dry run before painting the frame. I was planning to install the rear engine bolts and possibly others before standing it up, and then replacing the bolts through the correct direction one at a time. I don't have help. Is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
That's a popular method.
I remove the Exhaust Studs to give a little extra wiggle clearance, they are USUALLY easy to pop out and put back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Good to go.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike paint curing. I will follow up on the progress next week.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I've done it all ways you can think of...(I've probably gone in and out of 350 engines into frames more than 100 times)

I don't lay it on the side any more...you're just as likely to screw up your paint getting the wheels back on as you are getting the engine in.

frame with suspension and both wheels on a rear stand or centerstand
wrap the frame tubes in thick packing paper or plumping pipe insulation foam covers to prevent scratching
remove exhaust studs, starter motor, all left engine covers keep the kick starter on for a good handle

lay your body over the top frame tube and pick up the engine by the cam bearing end caps, shift shaft, rotor and kickstart handle.

install the top front of the engine into frame first (head first then rotate head up so lower right engine mount clears frame mount tab)
pick up the rear and pivot into back.
loosely Install the top engine hanger bolts fist...2 in frame one in head (part that bolts to cylinder head cover)
then install front lower left spacer and bolt loosely
then front right lower loosely
then back top
then back lower

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cb350 engine install

Great advice. It is my first 350 build and have got everything painted but the tank. I was going to have the tires and exhaust purchased last. I was planning on wrapping the bike frame and keeping the starter on. The stud removal has been suggested earlier and is good advice. I appreciate the input. Never thought of using the kick starter for a handle.

David

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know how it goes. Last time I installed my engine (upright) I couldn't get the lower left spacer in place.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk
I installed the engine today. Laid the engine on its side with a couple of small blocks to keep the engine flat and stable on its side. But after my first unsuccessful attempt, I decided to take the advice about removing the starter motor. I taped some poster board over the frame in several areas and made another go at it. This time it went over the engine with the exhaust bolts in place without issue. After aligning the rear engine bolt holes and passing the top bolt through, I aimed for the left front engine spacer. It was tight - probably from the paint. I used a screw driver as a lever and tapped the spacer in with a hammer. Once I sat it upright, I placed the top engine bolts. Went pretty smooth.

Thanks for for the help. On to the harness next.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
it went over the engine with the exhaust bolts in place without issue.
Yes, the engine goes in just fine with the exhaust studs in place. it also goes in easier with them out. considering how easy it is to take the studs out..(and after ruining my paint once with the studs in) I'll never leave them in again.

glad you completed that task, wiring is about the same...pay attention and be thorough and it will be a piece of cake :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts