Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale is a Honda OEM NOS gauge mounting bracket for a 1970/71 CB/CL350 K2/K3. It will not fit a 1972 K4. Part number is 37211-317-000. I bought it on eBay because seller listed it as K4 fitment. By the time I got around to installing it, I discovered it does not fit the K4 model. Seller listed it as NOS and unused, and I think it is. Pictures below.

I think I paid about $100 for it. For similar item in unused condition, current eBay listings are running between $45 and $138. I'm asking $40 plus shipping. I've got some other items that are used; they'll be listed in a separate post. Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
For sale is a Honda OEM NOS gauge mounting bracket for a 1970/71 CB/CL350 K2/K3. It will not fit a 1972 K4. Part number is 37211-317-000. I bought it on eBay because seller listed it as K4 fitment. By the time I got around to installing it, I discovered it does not fit the K4 model. Seller listed it as NOS and unused, and I think it is. Pictures below.

I think I paid about $100 for it. For similar item in unused condition, current eBay listings are running between $45 and $138. I'm asking $40 plus shipping. I've got some other items that are used; they'll be listed in a separate post. Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering what is the difference on a K4. The Honda microfiche lists K2-3-4 as using the same bracket. I am in the middle of a CB350 K4 that the owner took it to a guy to clean the carbs. The guy removed everything from the triple clamp forward. Opinion is he was planing to part it out. This bracket is one of the parts that got lost and I don't want to get the wrong part.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Just wondering what is the difference on a K4. The Honda microfiche lists K2-3-4 as using the same bracket. I am in the middle of a CB350 K4 that the owner took it to a guy to clean the carbs. The guy removed everything from the triple clamp forward. Opinion is he was planing to part it out. This bracket is one of the parts that got lost and I don't want to get the wrong part.
Understood - take care of properly introducing yourself and we'll work on the question.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
There is no gauge mounting bracket used on the K4. Took me awhile to sort that out since everything says there is. The K3 and earlier use a bracket that connects with the fork tube top nuts. The K5 fits the K4 top bridge but the K5 Gauges are different to match the angle of the bracket and drive. I finally noticed that the bolt for the gauge mounts on a K4 is 25mm and all the other models use a shorter bolt. The chrome back cover is also cut/bent in such a way as to center and locate the gauge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are the chrome cups different on a K4? Are you saying that the K3 gauges mount to a bracket aand it mounts to the top bridge and the K4 chrome cups mount directly to the top bridge? According to the microfiche top bridges K2 and K3 supercede to the K44 top bridge.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
While we can rely on the microfiches most of the time, there are some occasional parts that are misrepresented and this is one of them. Jim is a very detailed guy and has the very bike he's describing, so he knows the situation.

·
Registered
698 Posts
These are the three CB/CL gauge mounts I have. There is another bracket used on the early models. The K4 as has been stated mount directly with the longer bolt and the chrome cup has the bolt hole centred.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bracket mount for the K5 CB350. The gauges lost their lights for neutral and turn and those went to a separate light pod in between the gauges. The chrome cups have offset bolt holes. The K5 CL's that I have owned continued with the K4 mounting and gauges, ie no center light pod or offset in the chrome cup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This top bridge looks like yours. Do I kneed the bracket on the right or does the chrome gauge cup mount directly. Would the bracket on the right work with the right cups?

·
Registered
698 Posts
And then you can mess with things by using early gauges with later cups .... haven't found a way to open these up to clean etc. The plastic doesn't like to be played with. These cups didn't have the bolt keeper so I used silver bearing solder and proper flux to hold them in place.

·
Registered
698 Posts
This top bridge looks like yours. Do I kneed the bracket on the right or does the chrome gauge cup mount directly. Would the bracket on the right work with the right cups?
K4 direct mount just like in my last photo. If you use the K5 bracket you need the center light pod and K5 gauges with offset mounting and no indicator lights.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Also the K5 gauges have an angled cable attachment so the cable will still be vertical when attached. Trying to use K4 gauges with the K5 bracket pushes the cable into a kink as it passes the headlight.
This is what K4 gauges look like mounted properly

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
And then you can mess with things by using early gauges with later cups .... haven't found a way to open these up to clean etc.
Maybe this will help

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe this will help
No metal ring on the early gauges Jim. The cases are plastic and it looks like the metal plate has had the plastic heat formed around it. Old plastic doesn't have much give and one of these already has a crack. From experience I know it will grow if I force things apart.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
My Dad and I did a few of those back in the day but they weren't decades old then and the plastic was not brittle. I think we melted them over when we put them back together, but it wasn't a perfect job

1 - 19 of 19 Posts