Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Well ahead with the restoration, but am a little stuck. I know there are no actual paint codes for these old girls, but has anyone found a close match for the saphire blue? As I understand it, the side panels are not candy, just the main colour sprayed on. Looking at my battery acid damaged panel, it does seem to have a silvery undercoat as well as the main colour. Anyone have any info on the actual finish please? Cheers.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I believe all the candy colors back then were basecoat/candy coat, and the side covers would not have matched the tank if they were a solid color. According to a website I stumbled upon a few days ago, the '75 CB750 used a Candy Sapphire Blue: color code PB3CC (section 46, scroll the page to get there)but I can't verify that is correct, though this site seems to be pretty comprehensive. Others here have found that Marbles Motors has proper colors for the vintage Hondas too but I'm not sure they actually sell the paint, they may just do paint jobs for customers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ancientdad, thanks for the reply. The thread on Honda specs states that the headlamp, fork covers and side panels were just base coat, certainly the front fork/headamp are a base coat, not so sure about the side panels. Its a difficult one to match, not many cars in that colour!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I know people that have purchased paint from VMR with mixed results. I have sent multiple emails asking about the paints and procedures and received no response.. the paints aren't cheap by any means, and I have no issues paying for good products.. I would just like more info about the product, and proceedures to obtain the best of proper results...
If anyone has had good results / responses from VMR, I'm ALL EARS!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I went with Marbles Motors for my paint work and am very pleased with the results. The color is very deep and has the true candy color look. He also sells the paint by the can (spray and liquid can). Randy Marble is also a very helpful person if you have any questions on Honda related items and has been a pleasure to deal with.
DSC02290.jpg DSC02287.jpg DSC02289.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That looks like "marble" on terrazzo... :D it is a nice job, indeed, close-up shows a very clean job on the stripes and panel

·
Registered
309 Posts
My '71 CL350 was a blue metallic when I acquired it, not sure if it was the sapphire candy or not though. The bike was rusted on most of the exterior panels, well, the ones that were still there at least!
I remember searching for a readily available paint that was a close as I could find to the original color and IIRC, Ford "Bimini Blue" metallic from the early '90's F-150's was a pretty close match.

I ended up changing the color of the bike completely, (Burnt copper, actually a bright metallic orange with lots of flake) so I lost track of most of the blue paints that I was researching at the time. The Ford color has stuck in my memory though as one of the handful that I was considering at the time. Just my $ 0.02. Hope it helps in some way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts