Honda Twins banner

CB350 Halogen Upgrade

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  66Sprint 
#1 ·
Where's the best place to get the upgrade kit? I see the Rice Paddy selling them on Ebay, but I figured I'd see if there were any other places that you guys have found.

#2 ·
I just make-up my own conversions using a Halogen from a newer bike that is close to the correct size..... Takes a bit of work sometimes, but I have a Halogen beamed CL 160 headlight on my 175, and a Halogen headlight on the 1963 90 cc (C 200)...Both LOOK factory......The bigger bikes are even easier to "fit".....

#3 ·
NOOBIE Question-- Can you get these from an auto parts store? Is there a light from a specific bike that will plug in to the 350? Lastly, will this upset the electrical system.

I am running my lights on high beam as much as possible but the old yella light just doesn't do it.

Thanks,
Larry

#4 ·
This is something i was looking for, for my CL350 as well.

The Low setting is as bright as my bic lighter. I don't much care to ride at night because of it.

#5 ·
The halogen DOES draw more current, so a charging system check or upgrade is recommended.... You'll also need to keep an eye on the battery......
THAT being said, it is a GOOD IDEA to upgrade to halogen just to be seen.....
I have several differing sizes of "globes" that take the halogen bulb, but have no idea from which size/brand bike they came..... The optimal way to find out what "globe" can be installed in a particular headlight assembly would be for me to actually have the "old" headlight (complete) and physically try the mounts out..... ANOTHER option is to buy a new (aftermarket) headlight assembly with the halogen already in the shell, and just mount that up.... A servicable one (chrome shell with side mounts) is available for about $50, but then you have to find a way to hide your wiring jumble......
ANYONE want to mail me their headlight to try an install?... I'd need detail pics before I'd even agree for you to mail it to me, and perhaps a phone conversation so we can compare measurements.... Steve

#6 ·
Several different options here.

Here's the one I used on my '74 Kawi KZ400:

http://www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic. ... orum=kz400

Other techniques I've read include carefully breaking the lens out on your stock sealed beam, removing all the glass, buying an "ordinary" auto halogen headlight of approx diam., hi-temp silicone 'gluing' it into place. Apparently, you can get this to look very 'factory' and not as cobbled as it sounds... Never tried it myself, tho.

Kirk

#7 ·
can anyone point me to where i can get this halogen lamp....or even better yet an HID kit for our bikes....(HID is brighter and uses less power than halogen, which is why i want it) Thanks!

#8 ·
HID would be very nice but often you can't have both low and high beam in HID. Unless you're prepared to spend lots of money. A person could buy a newer non sealed beam light housing that has the replaceable bulb, and fit up an HID bulb unit into it. The HID ballast actually consumes more voltage initially then the stock light would, when it "fires", but it quickly drops to below factory voltage levels. Often when retrofitting in this way, the light pattern isn't right and it ends up being scattered. Plus in certain states it's illegal to perform this mod. The vehicle must come factory equipped with HID to be legal.

Just some errant thoughts.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

#10 ·
my intentions in the end are to use LED tail/break light and turn signals, I am currently rewinding a stator to optimize the charging system sorta like : http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... mmyId=3010 same concept, hopefully Ill be able to get 80 turns with 16ga magnet wire.....my guess is ill be able to get at least a 25% increase in charging power....Im looking for a higher capacity battery, currently using a 12Ah looking for a 15Ah that is dimensionally the same (Ive modified the battery tray to hold a larger battery....2 simple cuts allowed me to use one that is about 1 inch longer, and the seat im using allowed me to use one about 1 inch taller as well....so im on a search for such. I will be adding a handlebar stereo, so that is why I need to beef up the charging system and the battery, while reducing overall current draw. If I could find a LED headlight that is powerful enough I would use that.....anyways that's my story and plan, otherwise plan "B" is to retrofit a 12v DC generator to be driven by the drive chain....thinking a Cycle Electric Harley Generator, that should solve ALL the charging system inadequacies, inherent with out bikes

#11 ·
Remember, you have to match battery capacity with the "Harley" generators charging capability (MUCH bigger, heavier battery) plus, you'll have to mount that large, antiquated, mechanical regulator somewhere, plus the bulky, heavy, generator itself, plus its drive components.
You'll have enough invested in the conversion that you could have bought a decent 550/4 or old CX 500 and just ride it......
There are different size bikes, because some are better suited for different purposes....... A 350 just isn't up to the task you want fulfilled......

#12 ·
If I had the $$$ Id be buying a HD 883, but I dont have the $9k to buy one new or even used....Cant even find a HD "in a basket" to fix and assemble! So this is what Im stuck with till I win the powerball.......It runs and I got 2 spare engines for it, so it's just gonna have to work for me....as for the CE HD generator....I used to work for them way back when, (Wound field coils for these generators) so I know what im working with....figure IF I need to go there, I could simply mount the gen on the swingarm, theres enough room and that way the gen will move with the chain....that is only a last resort, as it would rob power from the wheel, anyways Im all about modding in order to make it mine, my way, not old man Honda's way. I almost literly only have a honda frame, engine, and fuel tank on this bike, most everything else has been redone, ALL the electrical, coils (im using '69 Camaro SS coils :) )rear break, looking for new front forks today to convert to disc breaks, and possible rear as well. next to go is the stock charging system, just need to order the magnet wire in order to do the rewind of the stator. Like I said, if i had the $$ I would buy a different bike, and just keep this one for around town, but alas, the sorry economy has hurt us all!

#13 ·
I admire your attitude, but I think your expectations will not be reached...
The 350 is probably the BEST commuter bike EVER made, but it's inadaquate for the interstates except in short spurts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.