Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after getting my CB350 running, I am finding that it is getting extremely hot. I am not sure exactly what’s going on. It seems to be running rich as it smells that way but I hear this is a symptom of running lean. Any other suggestions? Exhaust seals? Carbs?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Check for intake leaks, check the timing, make sure you have enough oil and that it's circulating.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There's a small bolt on the camshaft housing just rearward of the points cover. Take it out and start the engine. Oil should dribble out of the hole. That's the function of that bolt - to check for top end oil flow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So one thing I’m noticing which is also leading me to believe that I have a vacuum leak is that my idle is wanting to go up to like 3000 if i give it some throttle and then not return to idle. Its only remedied by closing the choke for a sec. I rebuilt my airboxes (as the previous owner ripped them apart) with generic filter foam. Is this perhaps allowing too much air? Its like it needs to be choked to idle properly.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Have you checked your intake boots by spraying something flammable (carb clean/brake clean/unlit but open propane torch/wd40) around them while running to see if idle changes?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don’t think WD’s quite as flammable as the others, but that unlit propane torch idea sounds like a RIDE :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
i was going to make it say wd40ish but didn't. It still works, it raised the rpm (+1-200) just enough to confirm my carb boots needed replacement. I agree that spraying brake/carb clean or the torch around a running engine is fairly concerning, I can see it being fairly easy to blow yourself/bike/garage up lol.

For that matter please do this at your own risk I take no responsibility for anything including blown off eyebrows and or expensive hairdos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts