Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there's a thread with this exact title, after some research I seek specifics.

The head end of the headers is slightly different on early models. The flange was narrower and requires different split sleeves to match up. But with the correct split sleeves will fit any year motor.
-Yendor, 2014

Well there's (what the owner believes to be) a '69 CB350 K1 in pieces on craigslist around here and I'm trying to scoop the exhaust for my '71 K3 if they'll go for it. My bike must be all stock.

I'm seeing that there may be discrepancies between the 'flow characteristics', aside from the 'head end' of the headers. My headers are solid, mufflers are swiss cheese and paper thin, baffles nonexistent. Totally uneven side to side. So muffler ends of headers are all compatible?

Anything would be an improvement, and I'm seeing it's more important to have both sides the same than necessarily perfectly spec, which they're certainly not at the moment anyway.

So with that in mind, what would you do? I'm thinking go for it but I want opinions. Mounting?

BONUS QUESTION

My speedo light is out, I have a replacement handy. Do I just yank out that black rubber plug on the bottom or do I disassemble?

I've already broken stuff yanking and poking so just want to be sure.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't speak to the differences in the exhaust, but the instrument and indicator bulb sockets just pull out of the gauge, the rubber might be hard from age but that's all that holds them in. Might want to soften them up with a film of lubricant to get them back in

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I would take a caliper to your header where the muffs attach and send that measurement to the guy on craigslist and see if they will measure it for you. Nothing else go buy that whole bike if its cheap take what you want sell the rest, parts are very desirable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ehhh 800 for the lot (mine was a grand complete and running) and there's not a lot of room around here for hella boxes of parts. I'd rather get the mufflers and gtfo! Although I can see the thing as an investment, I'm just not after the work involved.

Good idea. Found more info though that prior to 70 the CB350 (or maybe just certain ones) had unified headers and mufflers. I can see the headers in a pic but not the mufflers so they're separate, but looks almost like a 2 into 1 although it could be the angle. Here.

00z0z_5xHSTLUbJ6D_1200x900.jpg

Not sure what's going on there. I sent the dude some inquiries, fingers crossed I get away with this! If he goes for it I'll take some measurements of mine.

Anyone removed the mufflers from the headers on these bikes? Apparently a real pain in the neck. Apparently there's a gasket? Or is that only at the engine side of the headers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That is a good deal but alas - shorties!

I live in Austin by the way. Prices around here are super inflated for the old ones cause they're trendy I guess. Don't see too many around though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost went up to Oklahoma for a sweet little 175 when I was in the market but ultimately went with the 350. That would be pushing it a little. Hell going to dallas for the 350 was a trip!

I left at like 4 in the morning to meet the guy early. Rained the whole way there. As I was pulling down the dirt road to his driveway - started hailing big time. I swear as soon as I signed the Bill of Sale there was a thunder crack and it was utterly can't-see-the-tail-lights-in-front-of-me torrential the whole way back. Squealed into the parking lot with the bike still on the truck only 30 minutes late for work. "Sorry guys I'm coming from a really important appointment in Dallas!"

So yeah that's how the curse came about. Lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah my headers are ok, I'm looking for OEM mufflers! Which I understand is pretty difficult.

Really wish this guy would respond!

Just took it for a fun little spin, even down the main drag a little - what a thrill! Man o man I can't wait for my VT plates to get here! I was gonna go into the insurance place today... maybe Monday.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I'm seeing individuals for pretty cheap on eBay, might go that route. This guy has to dig around and see if he can find them. Fingers crossed.

Some great info and pics in this thread.

There is a gasket at the header-muffler connection.

Looking at the David Silver replicas, pretty sweet if I want to drop the cash.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think you got the honda twin bug boy, sounds like a nice bike. I always wondered if tha vermont thang worked. Glad to know someone has done it, thats encouraging!
Fingers crossed, prayers said, may they be there, and in great shape!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts