Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I’m getting really conflicting views on engine oil. Some say avoid types and others say as long as 10w 40.

Anyone recommend an oil available in the UK that I can use on my bike? Really want to avoid some of the horrid of clutch slipping etc.

Quite unteeeted to know why specific types are good rather than others.

I’m quite good with just getting on and fixing but specific things I’m completely confused about “why it works” kind of get me worried I’ll break something.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
look for oils with JASOMA standard on them.

typically diesel oils are best rather than auto oils because of the detergents.

oils for vintage bikes with zinc content are good too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I’ve found at my local Halfords (UK based).

Ok to use?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Can't read the label in the pictures, but, if it's MA rated it's good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use this in my 72 XL250 and 72 CL350 without any issues. When you think the type of engine oil used/available back in 70's it works fine.

delete me.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes on the Castrol product! I was going to suggest Castrol ACT Evo 10w-40 but is apparently no longer available in the UK. I have used Castrol products in motorcycles since the 1970's. They know what they are doing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, am no expert by any means, but I used Halfords 10w 40 - seems decent enough and prob beyond the spec of 40+ years ago.....

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
So long as it is bike specific oil.

Generic car oil MAY make bikes wet clutch slip. I used some leftover Halfords fully synthetic car oil in my Kawasaki Gpz305, made the clutch slip, cured by going to proper bike oil.

These days, I'm using Silkolene Comp 4 10/40w semisynthetic in my 175s, and the Castrol fully synthetic stuff in my CB600 Hornet.

That said, back in the day I used Castrol GTX 20/50 car oil in my brand new Cb175, changed every 500 miles, ran perfectly for 21,000 miles, when I traded it in. GTX probably didn't have the clutch unfriendly additives back then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts