Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. so I know this is a long shot but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 69cb350 k1. The short version of the story is that my buddy's mother knocked it over when backing up her truck and now I have a few electrical problems. First off the turn signals don't work. My tach light is off as well. My brake light works for the rear brake but not the front. These all worked prior to the fall. Now my headlight and horn are not as strong as they we're either. Finally I cannot ride with the lights on or it will kill the bike. Runs alright with them off. (I say alright because it wasn't running great before but that's something I hope to figure out down the road). I plan on tearing bike apart this winter and having it tip top for next season but I am trying to get as much ride out of it as I can while the weather is still ok. I have the tank off now and cannot see any obvious damage but then again this is my first bike. I had the headlight open and when I messed with the wires I could sometimes get the signals on. Seems like the battery isn't holding a charge or a wire is grounding out somewhere killing the battery? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Just need somewhere to start. Thanks

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of it?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
could be anywhere based on your description...start with headlight bucket and look for loose wires, then the handlebar controls, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
A picture of the Damage might help us point you in the right direction.

"Now my headlight and horn are not as strong as they we're either"

Makes me think your Grounds got disturbed. Did you ever go over the Grounds to make sure they were all clean and good contact.

The Old Bullet Connectors on these bikes are in Theory "SELF CLEANING" Meaning when you push them together they scrap and make good contact - HOWEVER after 40 + years of sitting that doesn't really work any more.

Go Buy a couple of Staniless Steel Mini Wire brushes from Home Depot/Lowes etc. and a can of Contact Cleaner from Radio Shack and take "ALL" of the bullet Connectors on the entire bike apart spray them with cleaner and brush them clean.

Then Clean Up the Grounds:
Remove the Large Ground wire from the Battery to the Rear Motor Mount and make sure it is clean.
There is another Ground behind the Right Side Air Filter Green Wire that goes to the Frame.
Remove the Bolts that hold the Headlight Bucket in place and clean those Ground connectors.

Lastly there "SHOULD BE" a Black Ground wire from the Bottom of one of the Handlebar Clamp Studs where it passes thru the Top Fork Bridge to the Top Fork Bridge where one of the Gauges mouts. That wire Ground the handlebars to the frame via the Top Fork Bridge to the Steering Stem etc...

Check Your Battery Terminal Connections and CLean them even if they look good it may have connections that are marginal - also it may have been damaged by the shock of the drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys! Ill post some pictures when I get home. Ill go over my connections and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front headlight.jpg
Healigt bolt.jpg Mysetry hole.jpg Side electrical.jpg
Here ya go, I'm not sure what this hole is for but it is threaded.
There's really no signs of obvious damage (from the fall) as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bolt in the headlight bucket was loose so I tightened it. I put the tank back on to start it, itstarted right up but after a few minutes of idling, it died and now I cant get it started. Very frustrating. Maybe the battery just needs a good charge? Oh, actually I think it died after I tried to turn the headlight on.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
A couple of things to note:
1 - The Battery MUST be fully charged for these bike to run properly. they use a battery excited ignition system. If the voltage drops below 12 volts expect it to run poorly and/or not at all.

So 1st - CHARGE the BATTERY.

The Ground for the Bars is at the Top Fork Bridge. The Speedo Gaugde mounts to the Hole in the Upper Fork Brdige just above the Eye on the wire . That should be clean and free of Paint/Rust etc. (pic taken before removing Paint). The handle Bars are supported by Rubber Bushings in the Upper Fork Bridge and therefore insulated from the rest of the bike frame. The Clutch and Brake Cable will SOMETMES complete the Ground Circuit but being Lubricated & Steel are very poor conductors.(See pic)
DSC06025.JPG

The Threaded hole you point out is for a Steering Damper not used on the CB versions. The same lower Fork Tree was used on the CB,CL and SL's. SL's had the dampers.

Your Clutch Cable is routed WRONG. The Clip you have holding the Clutch Cable actually is supposed to be mounted on the other side and support the TACH Cable.
DSC06030.JPG

The Clutch Cable comes thru the Cable Holder on the Handle Bar Clamps then around the Steering Tube on the Right Side - Thru the Cutout in the Frame where the Coils sit then down the left side to the Sprocket Cover & Adjuster assemby. My Cover is removed in the pic but you can see where the Cable passes thru the frame.
IMG_0585.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts