Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a tach off a CB350 part number --(probably old) 37250-324-671
will work on a CB450 K5, part number -- (probably latest number), 3861250-001 according to Bike Bandit
I have three. One waves wildly back and forth (off the K3) , one pegs at 12K (the K5'soriginal)while the engine is still pulling strong and one shows only 8500RPM (off the other K3) and the valves (or points) are floating.

I am only concerned about the ratios. Don't care a wit about spacing of the mounting bolts, neutral/turn-- whatever lights.

I searched best I could to see if this was answered elsewhere-- no luck.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Ratios are reportedly the same.... redline is marked at a different number of revs, but no real biggie....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve!
Anyone know for sure??

My K5 shows a 9500 RPM redline (like the one I'm considering buying) and my K3's show a 9700 RPM redline.
It's not important but all of mine are marked off with 5 hash marks per thousand RPM and the one for the CB350 just shows a hash mark midway between the numbers.
Again, no biggie. I just need some accuracy that I can rely on. I considered an electronic tach from Trail Tech: ATV & Motorcycle Vapor Tachometer-Computer for $119.00 but that requires a seperate power source. Not what I want to do with a total loss system. Although-- I must say, after running three 20 minute sessions those little cheap ($8.00) 12V/4Amp batteries did great. I only used two all day (5 sessions) and may have been able to get by on just one. After 3 sessions, it still showed 12.86 volts (starting at 13.05V)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With two experts like you guys giving it the thumbs up-- I'm buying it!
Thanks Steve and Bill!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm betting they are but, it's not important. It will be going on a (highly) polished mounting plate I made.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I can't wait to see pix with the 500/4 trees, and see what you say about the steering differences.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
I can't wait to see pix with the 500/4 trees, and see what you say about the steering differences.

That will happen soon. Or, when I lace up a rear rim to the front.
But, here's the kicker. I'm going to be racing in Historic Production. Key word: PRODUCTION
I've been following the AHRMA forum and reading where one woman, that races in my class, just had needle bearing cams installed. I know for a fact she has CR style Micky Roonys on her CB350. I'm not worried about her-- she weighs 30LBS (at least) more than me and she isn't what you could call a great talent. But, if she is doing that, what are the other riders doing-- the ones that can ride? My engine is totally stock!
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to sell my house and make a visit to Bore Tech for some cams and pistons!!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
WOZERD said:
66Sprint said:

That will happen soon. Or, when I lace up a rear rim to the front.
But, here's the kicker. I'm going to be racing in Historic Production. Key word: PRODUCTION
I've been following the AHRMA forum and reading where one woman, that races in my class, just had needle bearing cams installed. I know for a fact she has CR style Micky Roonys on her CB350. I'm not worried about her-- she weighs 30LBS (at least) more than me and she isn't what you could call a great talent. But, if she is doing that, what are the other riders doing-- the ones that can ride? My engine is totally stock!
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to sell my house and make a visit to Bore Tech for some cams and pistons!!
Welcome to the world of racing. I've heard that sort of stuff can be common in the vintage classes, especially when there is no money or rules that will allow a tear down. In the CMRA you can protest (as I'm sure the AHMRA allows as well) and you have to post a bond (I don't recall if it was $100 or more). If the protest is found to be valid then you get your bond back. If the protest is found to be invalid, the protested rider gets to keep the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts