Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the carb insulators and while doing it I found the screws on the left cylinder to be not very tight, as in almost loose. The bike had a problem with high idle when warmed up. This may/may not have caused that, I do not know. Anyway, is thread sealant advised on these mounting screws? I did not see any on the screws.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The screws are difficult to tighten once the engine is in the frame. If I am doing an engine with the JIS screws I put them in with my impact gun before putting the engine into the frame.
Most often I switch the JIS screws out for socket head screws either plated or SS. No thread locker. They are much easier to tighten properly. If using SS then an antisieze on the threads is needed.
I also use Copper Coat Gasket spray on the gaskets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boomer, I went ahead and tightened them down with no thread locker, I used a JIS bit on a 1/4" socket wrench. When I first got the bike I did not realize how 'different' the JIS screw was compared to our regular Phillips. Now I have a collection of JIS bits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got the gas tank equalizer pipe cleaned, tank back on, carbs back on with new gas lines. When I bought the bike a couple years ago it had a blue/green gas line label Urethane, that stuff was falling apart. The battery was discharged so I hooked up my charger and brought it back up, when I hit the Start button she fired instantly and idled very nice. After about 5 minutes of idling the rev's started climbing until I shut it off. Oh great , what now? I did notice gas on the outside of the left card, not sure where it was coming from. I also checked the charging voltage and it did not look good. Battery was at 11.7 volts with the bike running or not. Bummer, I hate bad news.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts