Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problem with the cam sprocket bolts breaking? Mine snapped off while I was driving a few blocks from home.
What could cause them to snap off like that? Tensioner? Stiff rubber on an old sprocket?
I need some help on this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
jtblake said:
Has anyone ever had a problem with the cam sprocket bolts breaking? Mine snapped off while I was driving a few blocks from home.
What could cause them to snap off like that? Tensioner? Stiff rubber on an old sprocket?
I need some help on this one.
Man, that is rare. The only thing I can think of is that the bolts came loose for some reason. My guess would be that someone did some work and when they replaced the cams they didn't tighten the bolts correctly. The wear marks on the shoulder of the bolt just above the threads are a good clue that they were flopping around a bit before shearing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The two bolts are different...they could have been installed in the "wrong" holes, or as mentioned, left loose.........

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Yep...Those bolts ARE different, one shouldered and one not, and they are SUPPOSED to be replaced with each use to prevent such problems......As they are NLA, we have to re-use them..... Use locktite on the replacements when you find some, and torque to specs........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys.
I don't know if they were installed in the wrong holes or not but it sounds pretty plausible to me that they were left loose. Luckily I have another engine I can steal the bolts off of and I think I'll rob the cam sprocket too while I'm at it. The old one got a little beat up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Digger said:
The two bolts are different...they could have been installed in the "wrong" holes, or as mentioned, left loose.........
I think that both bolts should be exactly the same, in order to prevent vibration and keep the system in balance...

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
sprint said:
I think that both bolts should be exactly the same, in order to prevent vibration and keep the system in balance...
No way. See 66's previous post.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
sprint said:
Digger said:
Negative - they are different, and they are NLA.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
tbpmusic said:
sprint said:
Digger said:
Negative - they are different, and they are NLA.........
"NLA"? I am sorry, what do you mean by that? Is that he way the engine was built from the factory, with two diferent bolts on the cam sprocket?
I am very interested in the matter, because I thought they necessarily had to be identical, as in my cb 400 t...
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
sprint said:
"NLA"? I am sorry, what do you mean by that? Is that he way the engine was built from the factory, with two diferent bolts on the cam sprocket?
I am very interested in the matter, because I thought they necessarily had to be identical, as in my cb 400 t...
Thanks.
NLA = No Longer Available

Yeah, on the CB400T they are identical, but on the 350 they are two different bolts that have to go in their respective holes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts