Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the site and to motorcycles (used to have a bajaj scooter and just stepped up to a honda cb350), looking forward to engaging the site for some time and tapping into the collective knowledge.

I have a 1969 Honda CB350, got it from a friend who was turning it into a cafe racer, so kickstart only and pretty stripped down. As I was working on the carbs the other day I kickstarted the engine and the kickstart didn't pop back up. I took off the engine case and discovered that the kickstart return spring had broke and as I was removing the spring a piece of the engine to the right of the kick start broke off (see attached photos with notes), it broke my heart. I looked all over online and in the pdf shop book and I'm not sure what's the function of that broken piece. The kickstart spring doesn't seem to rest on it, it obviously uses the protrusion on the opposite side to create tension for the spring to bring the kickstart back up.

My questions:
1. Do I need to have that piece welded back on by a machinists?
2. Since I don't know how to weld and I'm kinda strapped for cash, If I don't weld it back together is that just asking for more trouble down the road? In other words, does that piece provide a function that I don't know about (e.g., absorb shock, manages oil flow, etc.?) and/or is the engine structure compromised?
3. For those of you that know how to weld, if I do need someone to weld it how should I prepare the engine for the welder (what needs to be removed, if anything)? For example, is is customary to have the whole engine taken off?

I appreciate all of your help, thanks,

Justin

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo4.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where you located?

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and to motorcycles (used to have a bajaj scooter and just stepped up to a honda cb350), looking forward to engaging the site for some time and tapping into the collective knowledge.

I have a 1969 Honda CB350, got it from a friend who was turning it into a cafe racer, so kickstart only and pretty stripped down. As I was working on the carbs the other day I kickstarted the engine and the kickstart didn't pop back up. I took off the engine case and discovered that the kickstart return spring had broke and as I was removing the spring a piece of the engine to the right of the kick start broke off (see attached photos with notes), it broke my heart. I looked all over online and in the pdf shop book and I'm not sure what's the function of that broken piece. The kickstart spring doesn't seem to rest on it, it obviously uses the protrusion on the opposite side to create tension for the spring to bring the kickstart back up.

My questions:
1. Do I need to have that piece welded back on by a machinists?
2. Since I don't know how to weld and I'm kinda strapped for cash, If I don't weld it back together is that just asking for more trouble down the road? In other words, does that piece provide a function that I don't know about (e.g., absorb shock, manages oil flow, etc.?) and/or is the engine structure compromised?
3. For those of you that know how to weld, if I do need someone to weld it how should I prepare the engine for the welder (what needs to be removed, if anything)? For example, is is customary to have the whole engine taken off?

I appreciate all of your help, thanks,

Justin

View attachment 34589 View attachment 34590 View attachment 34591 View attachment 34592

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
The best solution is probably to replace the bottom case half..... almost any CB/CL 350 bottom case half can be substituted for yours....
While your engine is inverted and split open, you can check the transmission, clean out the sump, etc, etc.....
You DO NOT have to tear down the top end to do this.....

You would probably have to tear the bottom end case half off/open to facilitate the welding process anyway........

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I've never come up with a good understanding of the function of that piece. it's a rather common part to break when the kickstarter goes. I've put together and run a couple motors with that piece broken off and have not noticed any ill effects.

from looking at your pictures it appears as though the kickstarter shaft is sticking out farther than it should be able to. Are you certain it was a broken spring that's causing your problem with the kicker not returning? I would expect some issues on the mechanism inside the cases. the Circlips that Honda used on the kickstarter shaft are made from lower grade materials and commonly fail.

if you do in fact have to split the cases then replacing the bottom case is a simple thing to do

besides the replacement bottom case and new circlip for the kicker shaft, you'll need a lower end gasket kit, lower end seal kit, some hondabond and free weekend

it's also not a bad idea to replace the entire kickstarter mechanism with one from a later model. the later model kicker mechanism's were much more robust than the one in your 1969 K1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.

The shaft does have some movement, it can be pulled out about a half inch or so. I guess that means that there's something broken (possibly the circlip) in the mechanism? I assumed it was the spring originally because the spring did break. I can return the kick start manually, and it can still be kickstarted and the engine fires up. I'm guessing that I'll have to split the cases and replace the whole kick start mechanism, but I'm reluctant to do that right now because I don't really have a free weekend until June/July (I'm a grad student and I have my qualifying exams next quarter). Can I keep riding it to commute and get it started by either still using the kickstarter (and bring it back up manually) or by push starting until June/July when I can use a whole weekend for this project?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
the only way to answer your question on it being safe or not to keep riding is to split the cases and see if there is in fact a broken part in there sloshing around.

if you get a broken piece of circlip sucked into a gear it can result in a very broken engine and could put you in the hospital.

of course you're just as likely to be perfectly fine.

Naturally, fate being what it is... if you take it apart, it will end up being fine and if you just ride it, the whole thing will grenade on you.

Better safe than sorry?

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
I believe it is there to keep the oil from slinging off the gear and directly hitting the kickstart seal area and such....Some sort of oil control at any rate.....or maybe to have the slung oil go somewhere specific...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Outobie, I'm gonna take your suggestion and pick up a kick start mechanism from a later model, do you have any suggestions about what year/model I should shoot for? I'm assuming that it's better to buy the whole assembly instead of parts from later models, i.e., buying a circlip from post K1 models and putting them on my K1 kick start, correct?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
yes, get the whole assembly used from ebay...the parts are not interchangeable between styles

I think they changed over in 1970 with the K2,

it's east to tell...they look very different

1 - 11 of 11 Posts