Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got my CB250T stripped down to 1,000's of parts stored in crates in the garage and am slowly but surely starting to clean up and reassemble as budget and time allows. I have just about completed the wheels and will install the bearings this weekend. Next step would be to clean up the frame & swingarm (lots of rust & accumulated road crud) and the forks, with the aim to get a rolling frame.

Since ive bought the bike I realised that I ended up with a CB400 engine in a CB250 frame - I should have noticed it when I looked the bike over prior to the purchase because the frame & engine numbers are clearly different but in my eagerness to get a suitable project bike this was an important detail that slipped my attention, and one I'm a bit embarrassed and annoyed at myself for. This has however resulted in an interesting development a few weeks ago in that I spotted a CB400T being advertised that had been fitted with a CB250 engine .... are you guys thinking what I was at the time?

Anyway, when the bike was still being advertised for sale 2 weeks later and after a bit of grovelling and begging I managed to persuade the better half that it might not be a bad idea to go and have that bike looked over. The fact that I borrowed my neighbours ute, loading ramp & tie-downs before we embarked on the 2 1/2 hr journey to "just have a look and besides, it's a nice drive ..." should have been a warning sign. I now have another project bike parked in the garage ? - my current plan is to swop the engines so that I have a 250 frame & engine combo as well as a 400 frame & engine combo, and since the 250 is already stripped down I'm focusing on finishing that bike first and using the 400 as a template to check correct routing of wiring, cables, etc, despite the fact that I'm taking 100's of photos as I'm going along.

So last night I decided to disassemble the brake caliper on the 250 so that I can finish that off after I've completed the wheels and while I make up my mind on whether I want to have the frame powder coated or to just paint it myself. I've previously bought a set of O rings, seals & boots in anticipation that I'll just replace those when I'm rebuilding the caliper. I thought I'd wait and see what the condition of the piston is before I decide whether it's necessary to replace that.

Whilst taking the the caliper apart I noticed that the pad pin clip is broken. See below:

IMG_0730.JPG

Consulting the parts Fisché at CMSNL it would appear that the clip should look like this:

IMG_0067.JPG

No problem, I thought, I'll just go online and order a replacement. A quick online search at all the usual suppliers however seems to suggest that the clip is unavailable and/or obsolete. I guess I could just reuse the bits that I have when I reassemble the caliper, or check the condition of the clip in the 400 and use that but the disadvantage of that option is that it just transfers the problem to the next project, so I'd prefer it if I can avoid that option.

Are there any suitable alternatives to replacing that clip or would it be OK to reuse the broken pieces? It's only function as far as I can tell is to ensure that the pins do not work itself out of the caliper whilst it is in use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea! I'll take some measurements and see if I can find a suitable size that'll fit.

BTW, I checked the caliper on my 400 earlier today and that clip is still intact.

Thanks Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts