Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the seals and distribution chain so I have to split the crank cases and according to the manual I need this special tool to pull the rotor. It's available from cmsnl but at €72.50 it's a bit expensive.

Does anyone have this tool for a better price? Or otherwise tips on how to get the rotor off?

On the CB750/900 you can use the rear axle but the rear axle on this one is too small.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think I've heard you can use your oil filter bolt. Just like on the CM/CB400 series. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Just check the 400 FSM, same tool used for removal so yes the oil filter bolt can be used IF the head of the bolt is in good shape.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Be careful dude, that oil filter bolt end only just spans the crank taper, make a steel button that will pass thru the flywheel hole that's threaded, and its spigot fits inside the oil filter "tube", and presents a flat true surface to butt up against the crank flat end ( ie not the taper ). A sort of solid steel top hat affair that the oil bolt pushes against the crank flat end.

The oil filter bolt "hole" is very close to the dia of the crank taper and could split the oil bolt, on a very tight flywheel. The thread is the same so take that along to your supplier and get a proper bolt.

Your next problem apart from the 4 centre head bolts and their holes, will be the clutch cage centre nut, a peg spanner needed.

Some firms like machine mart can supply purpose made pullers/pushers for bikes.

Be very careful how you stop the flywheel from turning, very delicate stator windings which are easily ruined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, thanks. I have the tool for the clutch nut so that's easy.

I'll have to go and find a good bolt or puller and find a way of steadying the flywheel without breaking anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought some generic M20 bolts and whilst thy size fits, the thread is too coarse so I guess I could use the rear axle of the '79 CB900 as that's the same size. The later models have a 23 mm axle.

Or go and buy the tool...

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I bought some generic M20 bolts and whilst thy size fits, the thread is too coarse so I guess I could use the rear axle of the '79 CB900 as that's the same size. The later models have a 23 mm axle.

Or go and buy the tool...
Generic 20mm bolts will have the wrong thread, 1.75 pitch. The tool needs 1.5 pitch
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0085

1 - 8 of 8 Posts