Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this group.....I have owned my CB250G5 (1976) since 1995, but its been stored away in shed for last 18 years!! I now have the urge to bring it back to life, I am hoping there is some good advice to be had on here as I know when I stored it away the front and rear brakes were a huge issue, plus I am going to need a few parts, I am not looking to make it 100% original so open to improvements/mods using newer/better parts. Just wondering what parts are out there? i.e. mud guards, wheels, brake caliper, rear brake, starter motor, does not need to original items and can be off another comparable model or upgrade i.e. front or rear brake conversion/upgrade option??

Looking for an exhaust option, currently have a 2 in 1 item, which I have no idea what its from, so open to ideas etc

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
792 Posts
In storage for 18 years, then bet on valves being stuck, clutches, brakes etc etc etc.......but VALVES.

Your first job is to drain the engine oil and see what comes out.

Next remove spark plugs and fill bores with atf. Leave the sump plug out and collect the atf eventually.

G5, see cmsnl exploded views for engine entry. You need to see the valve rockers and alternator rotor.

Very carefully with the bike on the centre stand and in neutral, with the plugs out and a ring spanner on the alternator rotor bolt, slowly and gently turn the rotor BY HAND in the correct direction of rotation and watch what happens thru the plug hole and rockers. You will want to see all valves open and close. Stuck valves remain open usually. An open valve contacting a rising piston equals major expense, contacting an opening valve means more.......turn engine only BY HAND !!!

Stuck valves can and do happen so be warned. A stuck valve may "free" its self and snap shut, but, will stick the next time unless lubed.

When you are entirely confident that the valves are well lubed and free and will not stick, you can move forward to the starting engine stage, mechanically wise. Ign and fuel needs to be considered as well as a stuck clutch. and a working charging system.

Study cmsnl exploded views, get a manual and study, take your time and enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts