Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me with getting a stubborn oil seal out of the points base (CB200T)? I’ve bunged it up with some pliers already so there’s no turning back. I’ve got a new one on hand. There seems to be metal under the rubber portion. I just want to make sure it’s ok to be grabbing this as part of the seal and not the casting. Also, the circular spring doesn’t seem to come with the new seal. Do I save it to reinstall somehow?
Thanks for your help.

130D8613-B12E-403B-A117-E72C4ABE2633.jpeg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't speak to the 200 engine as far as the points base seal, but generally the seal for the camshaft looks like a directional seal and has a spring around the back of the sealing lip. You do not want to gouge or scratch the inner area of the back of the base as it is the bearing surface for the camshaft and relies on a flow of oil to be retained in the area behind the seal for lubrication (note the spiral groove). I'd suggest taking a wide flat screwdriver (or something else like it) slipped under the seal far as you can get it toward the outer edge, then twist. Getting under the seal and prying upward will be difficult because of the depth of the housing

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'll suggest that you drill a 1/8" hole in the widest part of the old seal. Then run a screw in and use that to pry out with. It looks like there's nothing important under the seal area so you may be ok with continuing to run the screw in until it lifts the seal out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. It worked. Thanks! I tried the screwdriver-twist trick but it started to dig into the aluminum casting so I flipped the base over and tapped it out from the other side with a screwdriver (making sure not to damage the threaded section of the opening).

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I thought about the drill and sheet metal screw trick but I wasn't sure you had much meat left to drill into with the seal boogered up like that. Glad it worked out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts