Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 1976 CB200T. It's in fantastic condition except for some muffler rot (which I hear is pretty common). I purchased some new mufflers but can't figure out how the old ones come off. Before I started trying to twist and pull and possibly break something important, I figured I'd ask on here if I'm missing something really obvious. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
2 x nuts at the header pipe first. Get a good quality spanner on these if the bike has been stood for a long while. When removed run the finned flanges down the pipes. Next undo the bolt holding on the rear footpeg. You will see this goes into the metal plate bolted onto the back of the exhaust. There is one more bolt on this plate to remove, do this next. The header pipe has two metal collets going into the cylinder head. A jiggle with the newly liberated muffler end might help with this. The flange will slide off the pipe once you have the header out. Feed the whole assembly out by rotating the muffler upwards and by threading the pipe out through the gap where the footpeg holder is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. So there is no way to remove the muffler without removing the header?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I see. So there is no way to remove the muffler without removing the header?
Sure... you can cut them off the bike with an angle grinder ... And risk cutting the frame , or damaging something you want to keep.
But the muffler would still be attached to the frame, there's a whole 4 extra nuts to undo to take the headers off ( 2 on each header)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Original mufflers were a one piece assembly; there is a ring crimped onto the pipes to seal the mufflers to the downpipes. If you do cut the pipes to split them cut on the muffler side of the crimp about three inches to the rear so you don't destroy the downpipes, you can then see how much more muffler needs removing to free the downpipes.
Also later models had two piece pipes so you could look on the bay for newer down tubes to fit your mufflers to.
What the guys said before is relevant too!
Nigel.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I've just a few minutes this afternoon separating down pipes from silencers ( mufflers, hate that word ;) ), taken from my newly acquired 1970 CB175K4.

Pipes are attached to silencers by a crimped on band. Hacksaw through this on the underside, where it wont show, then lever the crimp off. Pipe then pulls out of silencer.

The resulting down pipe was then too long ( or, rather, the aftermarket David Silvers silencers were too long ), so I had to cut the pipes off just above the pipe to silencer flange anyway. I used a thin metal cutting disc in my angle grinder, a bit quicker and neater than using the hacksaw.

New pipes now fitted to bike.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There you go Richard! You're right they are Silencers. Mufflers would be fitted to your ears or to a baby to quieten it. I tried Googling Mufflers and there's some weird definitions out there!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
There you go Richard! You're right they are Silencers. Mufflers would be fitted to your ears or to a baby to quieten it. I tried Googling Mufflers and there's some weird definitions out there!
Muffle seems more like what they do than Silence the engine

muffle. cover or wrap up (a source of sound) to reduce its loudness.

silence. Complete absence of sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean, they don't call them silencers when they're on cars. Maybe muffler is an American term...? Like hood as opposed to bonnet.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I mean, they don't call them silencers when they're on cars. Maybe muffler is an American term...? Like hood as opposed to bonnet.
Exactly that. We say boot, you say trunk. Bumpers for fenders, and so on ..

( And as for calling cylinders jugs, well that has a whole different meaning over here. :eek: )

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Some gratuitous pics of rusty exhaust pipes.

This is the flanged ring that has to be cut:

sil1.jpg

And this is what lurked on the hidden side of those nice shiny pipes:

sil2.jpg

Rotted beyond all hope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts