Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a '75 CB200t and I have a grounding question.
The horn and starter buttons work by creating a ground connection with the handlebar. However, my handlebars are isolated. There is no ground between the bars and the frame. I have looked over the wiring diagram in the manual and it just shows it as a ground.
Does anyone know what was used to ground the handlebars to the frame?

The triple tree bolts on the risers use rubber washers so that Isolates the bars from the frame. I can't find a ground wire from either of the controls.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Pretty sure that there's no green earth wire to the switch gear on my CL175K7, which has very similar switchgear to a CB200.

I thought that the handlebars were grounded through the clutch and front brake cables, if not through the head races, and that this situation could be improved by making up a dedicated earth strap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think Tools is right.

I just took the handlebars off my S90 this past weekend (yes, I know it's 10 years older than your '75) and the switches were grounded with green wire running to the headlight bucket. These bars also have rubber isolators so without the ground wire I doubt it would work reliably.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Why would you want electricity arching through bearings? Even 6-12 volts will eventually eat up the bearings and races, that is why there are ground wires running to the headlight/turn signals, and switches from the factory.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Simple Solution:
Run a Jumper Wire with Ring terminals on both ends from the Lower Stud of the Handle Bar Clamps to something that's mounted on the Triple Tree.
That's how the 350's ground the bars.
On the 350's they attach the ground to the Speedo/Tach Mounting Bolts.

NOTE: This Pic was BEFORE I scraped off the Powder Coat from the contact surfaces.
Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Wheel

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Yes, the CB200 / CL175 / CB175 have a green earth wire from the main wiring loom, connecting the frame ground to the headlamp shell mounting bolts. This is why we have to scrape the paint from the contacting points on the headlamp ears, so that the front indicators ( which have no separate ground wire ) work properly.

An earth strap from the handle bar mount can be run to a spare ground connector, ie ring terminal at bar mount, bullet connector into headlamp shell. A mystery why Honda didn't provide this, given the issues folks have had with non operative horn and starter buttons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I went to put the handle bars back on I found that there was no Green ground wire. I should have taken a picture when i took it apart.
I will go with a ground strap to the headlight bucket.
Thanks for the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts