Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just tore down my engine to overhaul the head. I removed all my brains and am about to out in fresh valves and seals... but wait these seals don't look the same as the originals. Before I assemble everything I was hoping someone could reassure me that the difference is only aesthetic and I shouldn't worry.

The difference in seals are the location of the round spring. The original is located on the bottom while the new ones I got have the springs on the top of the seal. Below are a few links with (first) the original seals and (second) the new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253044252569?chn=ps&dispItem=1

HONDA CB200 CL200 CB200T CB CL 200 VITON VALVE SEALS | eBay

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd go for the Viton Seals. Might be more money but the originals can last for more than 40 years. They are supposed to stop oil from being sucked into the combustion chamber on the induction stroke. You pays yer money....

Reactions: Kungfutoast

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go for the Viton Seals. Might be more money but the originals can last for more than 40 years. They are supposed to stop oil from being sucked into the combustion chamber on the induction stroke. You pays yer money....
Word. That's what I picked up. I am wondering is the location of the spring ring on the seas is an important issue. On the vitons The seal is at the top. The OEM has a lock ring at the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excuse my poor spelling. I am all thumbs on my cell phone... that and auto correct knows nothing of motorcycle maintenance. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well observed; the OEM have been fitted since the bikes were new, so I guess they work ok. The spring on the top means more pressure on the valve stem so presumably a better wiping action. I could live with a little oil weeping past the seal to lubricate the valve guides.
Nigel

Reactions: Kungfutoast

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well observed; the OEM have been fitted since the bikes were new, so I guess they work ok. The spring on the top means more pressure on the valve stem so presumably a better wiping action. I could live with a little oil weeping past the seal to lubricate the valve guides.
Nigel
Hah that's what I'm thinking. Well I installed the new Vitons and put everything back together. Hope to have the bike running by the end of the day. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts