Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Trying to figure out all the little o-rings etc. in the top end gasket kit for the CB200. The manuals are useless here. best I can tell so far is two alignment dowels at the front outer most stiuds where the Cylinders meet the crank case, then 4 dowels on top of the cylinder with o-rings on the rear outermost studs. That leaves 2 o-rings of that same size in the kit plus a couple of smaller ones and one green one?? As well as the tappet cover rings.

Anybody help here?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Been awhile, I'll have to ponder a bit and look at my spare engine parts...We will get it sorted for you.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, don't go to to much trouble, was hoping someone else building one might see that and know right off. Just can't figure the extra o-rings but it could be that the gasket kit is for a 76 and mine is a 74.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
diesel450 said:
Oh, don't go to to much trouble, was hoping someone else building one might see that and know right off. Just can't figure the extra o-rings but it could be that the gasket kit is for a 76 and mine is a 74.
Check a site that has the fiche for your year. WWW.CMSNL.COM is a good place. You can see the exploded diagrams there and possibly determine if you have the correct bits and pieces.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drones76 said:
diesel450 said:
Check a site that has the fiche for your year. http://WWW.CMSNL.COM is a good place. You can see the exploded diagrams there and possibly determine if you have the correct bits and pieces.
Great idea, I had tried that on bike bandit but the fiche was so blurry and difficult to navigate that I couldn't be sure. according to that cmsnl explosion I only need the two o-rings on the rear outer studs. Not sure what the others are for. I will take some pics of what I have to see if any of you guys know what they are. Could be for the valve guides I guess but I didn't take that stuff apart.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I think these are all the top end gaskets, seals, o rings, from the top on down:

-breather cover gasket
-2 side gaskets (for points base and tach base - note small oil hole alignment for tach side)
-points-side camshaft oil seal
-tach gear oil seal
-points outer cover gasket
-4 tappet cover o rings
-4 valve guide seals
-2 exhaust gaskets
-cylinder head gasket
-2 o rings for outer-rear dowels at head/cylinder
-cylinder base gasket (no orings at base)

Hopefully I didn't miss anything...

The supposedly official NOS kit I bought didn't come with the two oil seals or the breather gasket, and strangely only had one of the green orings for the outer rear cylinder-to-head dowels.

here's a dowel o ring (both left and right had them)

old valve guide seal

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
According to Bill, the 200's send oil up only the right side rear outside stud, so only one "green" (viton) 0-ring would actually be necessary on the 200's.... The 175's however use a cross passage in the cases and push oil up both rear outer studs......These "sister" engines both occaisionally suffer oiling problems to the camshaft at the point journal (left side aluminum bearing surface) ...SO, be careful to align the small oiling hole in the cam journal gaskets so the oil can flow.......It is easy to install them (the gaskets) "upside down" or "backwards" (and causes catastrophic cam failure) if you install them improperly.....
Since I tend to remove the tach drives from my 175's and run the earlier (160/175 sloper) right side journals, I too have to be careful about the oiling passages......
I know these journals (see pic) will fit either the "sloper" or "vertical" 175 heads, and I believe (not 100% sure) they would fit/look as good on a 200...

Just a thought......... :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info here guys thanks!

So, the 4 black 0-rings are for the valve guides then. and the green one is for the rear stud that supplies oil up top. I noticed there is only an oil feed hole on one side of the crankcase so that seems right.

Funny though there were two black o-rings on the rear studs when I took it apart but the cam chain that was in there is D.I.D. so I think this head has been apart before.

I'll keep posting and put some pics up too. seems like this is good info to share.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
NO... The valve guides have seals, not o-rings.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Agreed....The 175's are different as shown by the fische pics below...... :oops:

Sorry for the confusion...I'm a 175 guy....lol :lol:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Not an authority on the 200's (175's are my forte) but from the fische pic, I would say NO....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got everything worked out and back together. motor fired up and have PLENTY of oil in the top end now. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so today was supposed to be the final shakedown and started out fine. bike starts and runs great, jetting seems spot on and every thing's cool til I'm wheeling in and I feel that little stutter that reminds me of the last problem. Now, I had visually checked the oil supply to the top after the last rebuild and it was gushing oil. lots! I checked again and there is virtually no oil coming up into the cam area. Angry WTF?!?!? I'm pretty sure I shut it down soon enough but I am going to pull the points cover to see if I have damaged the "new" cam shaft or housing (just sold a housing on ebay Cry ) hopefully not too much damage there. If not I will pull the right side cover and replace the oil pump to see if that is the problem before I, yet again, pull the motor and tear the top end down to see whats what. I am certain I cleared the right rear stud column that supplies oil to the top. If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions or perhaps a nice running 200 motor laying around hit me up!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 75 CB200 that appears will need some top end love so Im trying to read up on other peoples musings with these. Did you discover what your oil feeding issue was?

Where did you source your gaskets and parts for the rebuild?

*EDIT*
Just looked at your build thread and it appears it was a bad oil pump... sorry for bring this thread back from the dead :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nope, Pump was fine, just the whole thing was mucked up from metal shavings from the first melt down. lesson learned there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.