Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the inner spring loaded cap in the gas cap can be removed? Then this part has a rubber gasket to seal the tank, but the Honda part fich has no cap sub assemblies other than the hinge pin. Anyone know of a gasket source for this item? Then if I can't get the bottem off how to replate?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lots of gas caps are made like this. My guess is you probably could not get it apart without ruining it. Just remove the old gasket and cut a new one to replace it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A huge number of models (350/360/450/500T/500F/400F/550/750, etc.) all used the same gas cap, so the rubber seal would be the same on all of them.

17525-300-000, still available from Honda for about $4.
One of them worked fine on my CB200...... a little tricky to get on, but you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill-just the solution to this part of the problem I hoped for. Next is replating. If I can't pull the bottem off I'll have to Phosphate, paint the innereds with "Somethin?" then electroless cobalt--unless someone knows of another way.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
CB200 said:
Thanks Bill-just the solution to this part of the problem I hoped for. Next is replating. If I can't pull the bottem off I'll have to Phosphate, paint the innereds with "Somethin?" then electroless cobalt--unless someone knows of another way.
Re-plate what ???? The cap??
It would be simpler and much faster just to get another cap somewhere, either used or new.
No need to expend all that effort on such a commonly available part - just my opinion.
You have to consider what your time is worth, especially in the context of projects like these that take hundreds of man-hours to finish. Is it worth all that time and effort to deal with a $40 part??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes-replate the cap with cobalt. Your right it takes time, but with each replate job I've done I learn more about what not to do and save time. My cap has no pits or rust and the nickel is intact so if I deplate the chrome and put it in the hot cobalt solution it should work. Haven't tried this type of plating yet and this looks like a good canidate--and I can still buy one if it goes south. My chrome clutch cover took several hours(nickel then copy chrome) and if I had known to just be agressive about removing the pits it could have been done in 2 hours.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had my gas cap apart, the guts are just held in the shell by friction prongs, slip a screw driver under and it will pop out with a little coaxing, the springy vent/gasket assembly is held together with a rivet, I'm sure it could be defeated and rebuilt with a modified bolt or just make and peen in a new rivet. or maybe just a pin and cotter or e clip. I'm thinking about some sort of a baked finish for mine, chrome aint really my bag.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I'll try the pry! Electroless cobalt is just placing the part in the hot solution-(a clean, pre-buffed part with no contra indicated alloys). That's why I need to deal with the inner stuff. There is also brush plating something called "copy chrome" the brush on stuff is a nickel/cobalt alloy so a little off chrome, but I repaired a muffler with it and most people don't notice the repair, I redid a steering stem cap with it and I can't tell unless it's right next to a chrome one --unless you tell someone that one of the caps is not chrome the'll never suspect--then they may guess the wrong one! The bath plate copy chrome is now pure cobalt so even harder to tell apart than the brush plate alloy. Now there is electroless cobalt--place in hot solution----presto! I'll let you all know how it comes out. With the last of the NOS caps e-baying for $60 plus shipping and the supply will dry up-I looked at re-plate-- but today's decrative chrome is BULL ****!!!! 1 micron of soft chrome over nickel----CRAP!!!!!! Looks good-rubs right off DO-DO!!!!!!! So I'm testing cobalt--let ya all know when it's done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts