Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two tanks to paint, one is my everyday tank, Candy Gold Metalflake. Got what I think is a good patch of unspoiled paint to match --but does anyone have a paint code (vintage 75) But then there is the pin stripe, looks like a decal not painted on. Is there a source of these decals or a decal blank that one crafts them out of? I'll paint this one if I have to.
Then there is my other tank-this one is for my pure stock show set up-Muscat Green Metalflake vintage 73/74 and so paint on the white and black is a thing that would be a last resort-any help out there?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the codes for the candy's of the era's base and flake coats there all the same base "Candy Silver Base Coat UC-16-100" and middle coat for a metal flake "Flake Silver Base Coat UC-16-103" The candy gold top coat is "Candy Gold HC-16-600" I still have to make sure about the muscat green, is it metalic or metal flake?

·
Registered
363 Posts
CB200 - If you have an automotive paint supplier in your area I would go vist them. Some have the ability to take a picture of your paint, (if you have an area on the old tank mimimum of 2inX2in). The picture they take will give you a similar paint code and they they will mix the paint there for you.

Not sure where you are but here is a company that bought out my family's buisness a few years ago,http://www.finishmaster.com/locations.cfm.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
The links don't work

I don't see a kit specifically for the CB200 but try these guys and see if they can help with the graphics.

http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/ind ... &cat_id=13

For paint colors, start with this web site then click the link on the bottom. It's not exactly what your you're asking but it should help with the search.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... otes1.html

Hi there,

The links above don't seem to work.

I have a CB200T the colour looks reddish orange . Its been registered as Orange, but I think its Red. Can anyone help

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ok, let me see if I can clear some of this up..
YES, auto paint supply shops can take a "photo"/scan of your paint.. it will give them a suggestion to "match" what the photo/scan shows..HOWEVER, I have found they are NOT a match for 70s era "candy". That "camera" is designed to work with single stage and base / clear (2 stage) paints. And that is with NO pigments, pearls, or candies in the clear....
70s era paints were mostly laquer.. a base, sometimes with Metallics, some without.. THEN, a tinted "clear" was put over the base.. giving it a DEEP look. Also colors were mixed..
EXAMPLE: Candy Bacchus Olive..
Blue base with blue AND silver metallics THEN a yellow candy on top.. giving the visual appearence of "green" with green and gold flakes
Honda used this stuff by the boatloads.. mixing and layering .. I swear if I didn't know better I would say the "Orange" we see is a silver base with red THEN yellow candy ..
Gonna have to locate a tank and wetsand through the layers

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You might never be able to exactly match those laquer-candy -color mixes, so much of it was materials and technique.
There are places with decals, or you could have them made for not much more $$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts