Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the subject of rear shocks for the CB200 has been posted up several times before. If you have a spare 19mins, this guy pretty much explains what all the issues are. It's important to owners of these bikes as pretty much all of the original units out there are shot, even if they look good they will likely be worn out. Gareth does a good job on the subject.

I had exactly same experience with my two bikes. The problem on one has been sorted with a chain guard modification and Hagon shocks, the Hagons are great but without the alterations to the guard, they too would be fouling it. The chain guard was originally done to accommodate the pattern shocks you see in the video but I didn't want to use them on my green 200, too long, too fat and the clevis is too wide.

I trawled ebay for a long time and thought I had cracked it, I managed to source shocks that were pretty much exact copies of the originals. The only thing that concerned me a little is that they were not sold as a pair, they were billed as monoshocks so I bought Two.

20190416_144219.jpg
20190416_144229.jpg

They went on very well, cleared the chain guard, needed some shimming on the top pin. Looked great but oh dear solid as a rock. Sitting on the bike let me know right away that everything was so stiff it was barely moving. I persevered but it seemed whenever I rode the bike the only thing I could feel was my backside going up and down through the seat foam. Like it or not it had pretty much turned the bike into a hard tail. I had in my mind that I might end up doing the chain guard again to put the 'wrong' pattern ones on just to get some suspension back.

Dial forward to last week and I noticed something interesting on the David Silver website. The pattern shocks listed now looked different and they looked close to being right. After scrutinising the pics and based on what I already knew I ordered a pair.
The critical length is just shorter than the originals but long enough to clear the guard even on the softest setting. The length is right, the clevis is right and the pin collar is the right width.

20190416_145739.jpg
20190416_150138.jpg
20190416_151341.jpg
After fitting this morning a quick bounce up and down tells me things are good again. It started to rain just as I finished so a road test will have to wait until tomorrow. The ones I've taken off will go in the parts bin, I haven't a clue what their future is, I'm just glad it will no longer feel like I'm riding on what's just underneath this one.

20190416_151420.jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mufflers are after market ones coupled to rechromed original downpipes. Cheers, Russ.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out today in the Spring sunshine, the rear shocks were fine one up from the softest setting.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Interesting !

I see that DS now also does CB175 shocks ( with the chrome upper shroud ) for the same price.

Your 'monoshocks' - the springs do look much heavier than the original CB200 biro springs, I wonder if swapping the springs around would have made them usable ? Graham Chapman, the Lotus bloke, always reckoned that soft springs and firm dampers was the way to go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that could perhaps work. I have the originals and like many examples there will be nothing wrong with the springs, it’s the dampers that have blown. If I could get the old springs on the new dampers there could be a usable pair of shocks to be had out of what’s ended up in the box. I don’t own anything to compress the springs and of course the pressing need has now gone but it would be interesting to see.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Doh. Colin Chapman. Graham Chapman was the Monty Python bloke.

Home made spring compressor.

20180901_110221.jpg

Reactions: Number13

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Number 13, was it the repro units you purchased, as shown in the follow link? https://www.davidsilverspares.com/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_33923/
I bought the ones as per link below. They look exactly the same as the ones in your link but carry a different prefix on the part number. It might be just the way they reference the parts on different websites but if you ask them I’m sure they will clear that up for you. It’s certainly the same set of photographs. Regards, Russ.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB200-TWIN/part_339876/

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
If you put the part number from the US website (52400454000P) into the UK website (search by part number), it links you to the CB200 repro shocks, FCEAA454000P, so it IS the same part.

Reactions: Number13
1 - 12 of 12 Posts