Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my siezed CB200 engine. The shift forks were quite well rusted to the drum. Enough penetrating oil and I was able to get them free but the new problem is removing the pins for the shift forks. Yes, I have read the other threads and tried magnets, oil, compressed air, etc. No, these pins on the CB200 do not have the hole in the center you can use a tap to “grab”. I attempted to drill a small hole in the center of one but these pins are HARD and it didn’t even make a mark. Any suggestions? TIA!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting close to putting the engine under my drill press and drilling them out. Anyone else had to resort to this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks pretty gummed. Is there anything you can soak it in? If you can isolate the area, you can buy a bottle of white vinegar and leave it for a couple of days to do its job of eating the rust? Maybe cut a gallon container so that it surrounds it and fill it with the white vinegar? It really does a good job of dissolving rust.

Make sure to buy high end bits if you drill. There is nothing worse than a broken drill bit inside your engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, there was water in the oil so it’s congealed into a nasty slurry in there. Idk why I didn’t think of soaking in vinegar. I’ll give it a shot before I break out the machinery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts