Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post to Honda Twins.net! My brother-in-law and I are each working on 1974 Honda CB200s. We noticed that our carburetor floats have fine cracks. Does anyone manufacture synthetic/plastic floats for the CB200?

A family member told us that the ethanol gas wreaks havoc on the brass components in the carburetors and suggested that we switch to ethanol free (as sold in Marinas). Thoughts?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Welcome to Honda Twins. I read that, yes, ethanol is hard on brass carburetor floats and zinc-plated/galvanized parts. I also read that the brass floats can be painted with a moisture-cured urethane (which is also supposed to work well for an internal gasoline tank coating to protect it from corrosion). Please note that I have no personal knowledge of this (IOW, I have not done it). I do not know if the tiny amount of additional amount of weight from painting the floats would affect their operation (I would tend to doubt it).

If the above is true about moisture-cured urethane, I presume it would work on other brass parts as well, but not every brass (et cetera) part is suitable for painting.

Whether or not to switch (back?) to gasoline that does not contain ethanol, that'd have to be your decision. But it would probably (I'm guessing) be less hassle running "pure" gasoline on vehicles that are 39 years old.

Regards,

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been running ethanol in my CB200 for over 2000 miles, and have yet to have a problem- OTHER THAN you must DRAIN the gas out of the carbs while in storage (and I suggest it be done on EVERY Bike). It seems after the gas sits for a couple of months, it evaporates and leaves the green corrosion on the float and jets in it's place. I think the stuff reacts with air and water, and if you dont keep it "flowing" it will evaporate and collect moisture.

I keep my tank FULL (no air in tank!) and my carbs empty (DRAINED, not just ran till it quits) and seem to have no problems. this time of year, when I am not sure how long it will be before I ride again, I try to run pure gas just to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts